First Published: July 1994
Availability: On a subscription only basis.
Readership: 1,000 copies, c. 8,500 readers including, many RSPB and Wildlife Trust sites, university careers departments but mostly to individuals.
Why choose CJS Weekly: Offers highly targeted advertising. Regular advertising is automatically included online.
Is the only publication to carry free recruitment advertising in the form of Free Linage, these are text adverts edited to the in-house style. See a sample of a Free Linage advert. (NB free and enhanced linage adverts do not appear online)
Advert appears initially in CJS Weekly Update (main section), in following weeks in CJS Weekly: Existing Opportunities until edition nearest the closing date, therefore, no need to pay for multiple insertions.
Published: Every Friday except over Christmas and New Year.
Booking: For artwork and paid adverts noon Thursday
5pm Thursday (all adverts inlcuding free)
Online coverage: there is no automatic online coverage with free or enhanced free advertising however regular (paid) advertising is posted online in full.
CJS Weekly is the only CJS publication to carry free recruitment advertising. See a sample of a Free Linage advert
Free linage: basic details of your vacancy edited to the in house style. Submit your FREE advert copy here
Please note: the free linage option does have the lowest response rate.
Enhance your free advert
Add a logo £20
Enhanced listing £20 Slightly different layout, bold heading.
Includes online coverage.
Basic Text 200 words £75
Standard Listing 400 plus one logo £125
Unlimited unlimited text* and logos £175
NB: If you need a full display advert (e.g. for dual languages) please
contact us for further details.
* NB: CJS Weekly has less capacity for longer adverts, for these the first 450 words will be included with a "continued online" button linking to your full online advert.
Add a video: £40
Higher promotion: £25 per day Additional promotion with more detailed tweet plus LinkedIn and Facebook postings with highlighted repeat listings in the daily email. Limits: maximum of 3 per week.
Job of the Day:
£50 per day As higher promotion but with an image, you can supply an image to use or CJS will create one for you. Includes: banner on the main jobs page.
Limits: maximum of 1 promotion per advert per week.
Social Package: £75 per advert As for Job of the Day plus sharing to other website / fora, for example specialist Facebook pages and LinkedIn groups, selected by CJS to ensure we're reaching the right audience for your job. Limits: one promotion per advert only. More information here.
NB: all prices + VAT at standard rate
Online for four weeks or until the closing date whichever is sooner. Longer runs by arrangement.
Published in full in the next available edition of CJS Weekly.
Volunteers and unpaid posts.
50% discount off all advertising. ALL including free adverts are posted online here for voluntary roles and here for apprenticeships and interns. Paid adverts receive a greater level of social media coverage. More details here
Suggested extra: Where deadlines permit add CJS Professional for only £5, see
Professional for details
NB: all prices + VAT at standard rate
CJS Weekly / Online Reader profile:
Highest qualification achieved
GCSE / A level: 10%
Masters or higher: 36%
Years of professional experience
Up to five years: 10%
6-9 years: 25%
10-14 years: 8%
15-19 years: 8%
Over 20 years: 28%
Next post preferred grade
Entry / starter: 21%
Assistant level: 26%
Main grade: 32%
Senior grade: 15%
Management level: 6%
Data from our autumn 2020 survey.
Posts of interest
Countryside Ranger / Warden and Countryside Officer
posts are of interest to over 95% of the readership and form the main area of interest for 40%. Purely practical countryside management is the main focus for 29% of the readership
Environmental Education including Forest School has is the main search for 24% and is of interest to 88%
Outdoor Education and adventure activity leadership, including bushcraft is a more recent addition but is still of interest to 85% of the readership forming the main focus of the job search for 11%
Ecology and biodiversity is now the most popular type of role for CJS readers being of interest to 97% and forming the main search for 44% with over 50% wanting to see more of this type of job.
Arboriculture is another area of increasing interest with only 8% showing no interest in this area and a third wanting more coverage.
Rights of Way and access
is the main search area for 15% and 20% wanting more of these vacancies.
Zoology and working with wildlife and animals (not research) is of interest to 93% of readers and animal handling (including zoos) is of interest to 80% and animal welfare specifically forming the main search for 10% and a quarter wanting to see more welfare focused posts.
Rural regeneration project work has been requested by 81% of readers
(gardeners) was also included after requests from readers and is of interest to three quarters forming the main focus for 7%
including IT form the main search for 6% and a further 7% are looking for a job in publicity, promotion and press or membership recruitment.
Over 90% find Volunteer management and youth work roles interesting with 13% actively seeking work in this area.
There is also a growing interest in sustainability, recycling and waste reduction
with 30% wanting to see more of these types of roles and 40% requesting that we include energy e.g. wind or solar farm
Our advertisers say:
- We were extremely pleased with the response from our CJS advert and will definitely use it again. (private company)
- Employed a very strong candidate who responded to our CJS advert. (National conservation charity)Excellent service and the best option for small organisations, especially for part time and short term contracts where advertising is not always cost effective. CJS cuts out inappropriately qualified applicants. (Local biodiversity partnership)
- Excellent service, speed with which ads can be placed is a definite bonus. (FT 100 company)
- Response has been good and we have appointed good staff. (Heritage Coast)
- The quality of candidates responding to CJS adverts means that I don't have to do much other advertising to get a decent shortlist for interview. Value for money second to none. (City Council)
- Very satisfied with the speed, efficiency and costs involved throughout the entire advertising process. (Government Department)
- Impressed with the promptness of the advert going onto the internet and subsequent speed of the first interest coming through on email, first enquiry came through in the afternoon of the advert being placed. (Private Zoo)
- The best response that we have received, excellent coverage. (County Council)
- We had a very good response to the advert and thank you for your assistance. (Royal Estate)
100% of advertisers in CJS Weekly will use CJS again.*
59% of advertisers in CJS Weekly say the response is as good as other publications.*
41% of advertisers in CJS Weekly say the response is better than from other publications.*
61% of advertisers say the standard of applicants from adverts in CJS is higher than average.*
*Replies to CJS Biennial Advertisers Satisfaction Survey 2014.
Our CJS Weekly readers say:
- The only source I use to look for countryside jobs - I look forward to its arrival every week.
- My career would be completely different without ten years of CJS - Thank you!!
- A great service which has served as a reliable method of securing employment for me over the last ten years. It continues to go from strength to strength.
Very useful to all our staff, thanks for a consistent and reliable service. (a county countryside service)
- Used by everyone I know in the industry.
- A university careers services said - Greatly appreciated by all our students.
Online Readers Say:
A daily routine, thank you for giving such consistently good service to environmental job hunters.
By far the leading website for providing career opportunities in the countryside management sector.
My first port of call when looking for a job.
The leading conservation jobsite on the net and one renowned throughout the ecological and biological world.
Probably the one and only site worth looking at for jobs in the conservation sector.
The one stop shop for all environmental jobs.
And see our Testimonials.
All CJS advertising
Lots of adverts?
We offer a range of discounts of up to 35% when purchasing three or more adverts, outline details here or contact us with enquiries
We can host your documentation, e.g. Job Description or Application Form.
Too busy to deal with enquiries? We can do that for you too!
NB: All prices quoted net of VAT which is chargeable at standard rates.