Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Lake Vyrnwy
Salary: £25,280 - £28,045
Join an established team managing a 4800-hectare upland farm situated on the beautiful Lake Vyrnwy Estate, Powys (managed by the RSPB on behalf of landowner Hafren Dyfrdwy) the largest organic farm in England and Wales with over 5000 sheep as well as cattle and ponies.
The farm is operated to achieve a range of important outcomes relating to sustainable land management, water catchment issues, and conservation. You will have a chance to experience upland farming at scale and use this as a unique opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge.
- Delivering day to day reserve farming and grazing operations
- Undertaking the daily routine care of livestock including feeding, safe movement between locations, safe penning and restraint where required
- Undertaking the daily assessment of livestock welfare and health, to ensure high health and welfare status of livestock under RSPB responsibility.
- Undertaking a range of habitat and agricultural management of the reserve, to deliver the ecological management plan objectives.
- Undertaking administrative duties required to maintain all relevant paperwork to ensure RSPB compliance with regulations and agricultural best practice.
- Responsible for the maintenance and operation of machinery and agricultural equipment
- Supporting in the production of the farming and grazing objectives in the reserve management plan and annual report as directed by the Farm Manager.
- Supervising contractors for small and medium projects
- Ensuring good relations at all times with neighbours, graziers, suppliers, vets, external organisations and the general public.
- Agricultural and conservation land management knowledge.
- Ecological knowledge of grazing as a conservation management tool.
- High level of knowledge in cattle and sheep husbandry
- Proven ability in the handling and movement of livestock including feeding, calving and lambing.
- Proven ability in the movement of livestock (mainly sheep) using sheep dogs and quad
- Knowledge and experience of the essential record keeping
- Knowledge and experience of risk management and compliance requirements
- Experience and knowledge of the correct operational use, repair and maintenance of farm machinery.
- Knowledge of the health, safety and welfare issues (e.g. risk assessments).
- Proven skills in a range of land management tasks e.g. building and maintaining fences, gates, in field water management structures, ditches and livestock holding pens.
- Problem solving and personal organisation skills.
- Experience of living in and working in remote areas and small communities.
Closing: 21 October
To complete your online application click here
Closing Date: 21/10/2021 Location: Lake Vyrnwy