Appletons are a long-established environmental and landscape architectural consultancy based in the north west of England. We are involved with challenging and interesting projects at both pre planning and construction stages on behalf of our clients which includes provision of ecological services. We have a broad base of clients including private, public and environmental charities. We are seeking an experienced ecologist to join our growing ecology team.
The role of experienced Ecologist
You will be an ecologist with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience, capable of taking on and running projects some of which may be large or potentially complex. You will be well grounded in the principles of ecology and have a thorough understanding of lowland habitats and species. You will be expected to play a part in the running of the ecology side of the consultancy, having a proactive approach, good business instincts and a flair for organisation. Ethical considerations will be important to you.
Contract: Full Time or Part Time
Location: North West/ North Manchester/ Bolton
Competitive salary: £30-35K+ dependent on experience.
- Co-ordinating with other staff to deliver a busy survey programme.
- Preparing fee proposals, managing and delivering projects of varying size.
- Building and maintaining strong client relationships.
- Preparing EcIAs, technical reports, tenders.
- Proven experience of the EIA/AA process, EPS licence applications and Biodiversity Net Gain assessments.
- Critically reviewing and checking technical reports from other staff members.
- Designing and preparing effective species mitigation proposals and management plans.
- Survey work including Bat, Badger, Water Vole, Newt, Reptile and Bird.
Other essential skills, experience and personality we are looking for in a candidate are:
- An honours/masters degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Associate or full member of CIEEM;
- Holder of protected species survey licences (level 1/2 bat licence and level 1 GCN licence);
- Holder of European protected species mitigation license/ named ecologist on EPS licenses;
- Experience of undertaking a range of habitat and protected species surveys including extended phase 1 habitat surveys, botanical surveys including Phase 2 and National Vegetation Classification (NVC) surveys and phase 2 protected species surveys in accordance with recognised best practice guidelines;
- Confident in liaising directly with clients, local planning authorities, Natural England and subcontractors whilst demonstrating excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of European and national nature conservation legislation and UK planning policy;
- Current, full UK driving licence.
In return, the successful candidate can expect to receive a number of benefits including:
- Competitive salary £30 – 35K+ dependent on experience;
- Option to work either part-time or full-time;
- Flexible working arrangements with the option to work from home;
- Use of a company work van;
- Use of a work mobile phone;
- Flexible TOIL Scheme;
- Contributory Pension Scheme;
- Payment of professional membership fees.
The opportunity to work in a positive, friendly, relaxed working environment with a small team of passionate, good humoured and like-minded individuals.
To apply for the position, please send your CV along with covering letter detailing experience to: email@example.com.
If you would like to discuss the opportunity informally, please also initially contact Lorna Cruice on 07970 729235.
Closing Date: 31/07/2022 Location: Bolton