Suffolk County Council
Volunteer and Engagement Officer
Suffolk County Council, The Carnegie, Thetford IP24 2DS
£27,041 per annum (pro rata for part time)
37 hours per week
Fixed term for 3 years (due to funding)
Closing date: 11.30pm, 2 December 2021.
We are committed to flexible working. To view the types of flexible or part time working available for this role, please see the Job and Person Profile.
The Norfolk and Suffolk Brecks is a very special part of East Anglia with a unique heritage. Working with partners, communities and volunteers, the Brecks Fen Edge and Rivers (BFER) Landscape Partnership will deliver 24 key projects to explore and celebrate its diverse landscape and history.
This role is a great opportunity to join the Brecks Fen Edge and Rivers Landscape Partnership delivery team as a Volunteer and Engagement Officer, working from The Carnegie, Thetford IP24 2DS.
- Do you have experience of delivering exciting and innovative events and activities - either directly, or with contracted providers?
- Do you have experience of working with a wide range of volunteers and supporting recruitment, training and promotion of volunteering opportunities?
- Would you like to work with a small team in an incredibly varied, challenging and rewarding role?
- Are you passionate about making a positive difference to heritage, and for communities in the Brecks?
In this role, you will work as part of the core BFER administration team to:
- plan, coordinate and deliver a programme of innovative engagement opportunities and events for diverse audiences including an innovative Health and Well-being Engagement programme
- help coordinate volunteering, support partners with volunteer recruitment and management, and coordinate delivery of a programme of work placements and youth training opportunities
- maintain and promote the BFER-wide calendar of events and activities, and contribute to regular newsletters, social media and development of web content
- support the wider BFER team and liaise with partners as required to achieve the aims and objectives of the scheme within budget and on time.
Your role will be crucial in linking together engagement across the projects being delivered by our partners and provide a coordinated resource for volunteering across the scheme.
You will need:
- a degree or equivalent in a related field with demonstrable experience of volunteer management across a diversity of communities and programme areas, as well as community engagement; or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- excellent diplomatic, interpersonal and communication skills - to effectively manage relationships with a wide range of partners, support and mentor volunteers at every stage of the volunteer cycle and develop strong working relationships with colleagues
- the willingness to travel to meetings/events and work unsocial hours during school holidays, at weekends and evenings.
- we are responsible for coordinating and supporting delivery of the £3.5M Lottery funded BFER scheme
- we work hard and with a flexible and supportive culture to ensure partners and participants have the best experience possible, and funding objectives are met and where possible exceeded
- you will have the opportunity to bring innovation to heritage project delivery in the Brecks, creating a legacy of communities, volunteers and stakeholders being more active, more connected to their heritage.
We will offer you:
- making a tangible difference to the landscape, its heritage and communities
- opportunities to develop your skills and undertake appropriate training
- valuable experience working with diverse partners and develop a wide network across the heritage sector in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Travelling requirements for your role
- Frequent travel desirable- We positively encourage the use of technology to communicate and engage, but in this role, you may need to operate across a wide and rural area, so it would be beneficial for you to either hold a full and current driving licence and have access to personal transport or meet the mobility requirements of the role through other reasonable and suitable means. If you require a reasonable adjustment due to a disability to meet the travel requirements of this role, please speak with the contact detailed below.
To find out more:
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Nick Dickson on (01473) 264628.
How to apply:
To apply and for further details, please click here
Closing date: 11.30pm, 2 December 2021.
Due to the continued situation relating to COVID-19 and reduced occupancy in our buildings, we are starting to explore and trial new hybrid and remote working practices. If you wish to discuss how that might impact your working arrangements, please contact the recruiting manager.
This authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS checks or police vetting will be required for relevant posts. We are also committed to flexible working.
Suffolk County Council - welcoming diversity.
Closing Date: 02/12/2021 Location: The Carnegie, Thetford IP24 2DS