Unusual roles within the countryside, conservation, wildlife and
Not everything falls neatly into separate categories. There are many
Project Officer roles which cover many different aspects of the sector,
running projects from inception to completion could include the initial
funding applications and feasibility studies, the on the ground project
work, staff and volunteer recruitment, publicity, record keeping and
depending on the project ecology surveys, community involvement,
wildlife research, the possibilities are endless. A Project Officer need
to be prepared for a wide range of scenarios and fulfill many roles over
the course of multi-year project.
There are other single purpose roles that don't fit comfortably into
any specific sector, here are a few that CJS has advertised over the
- Helvellyn Weather Assessor which involves ascending the mountain
daily to assess the conditions at the summit and on route.
- Lighthouse Keeper - not really a light house keeper but more of
a role to observe the resident seals.
- Field Research Dog Handler (the ed wanted this one!) - taking a
dog trained to seek out scents from certain mammals as part of
fieldwork research project.
- Flying Shepherd (we had the giggles over this one!) - not a
shepherd in a helicopter but a person to care for a herd of sheep
used for conservation grazing including moving them across several
- Isolated Teacher &/or childminder - a teacher was required for
an remote community accessible by boat or helicopter only and
surrounded by rugged landscape.
- Underwater Photographer - required to document the progress of
one specific marine project.
- Coracle builder - for a forest school summer programme.
- Pest Control Officer - no not a pied piper or even a rat catcher
but a falconer to assist with bird scaring operations in a city
Jobs and employment
Browse current vacancies advertised with CJS: start here.
To gain the experience required volunteering is a good way to
test some of the more unusual areas before committing to a longer term
See current volunteering opportunities advertised with CJS here.
Skills, training and CPD.
The skills and qualifications required are as varied as the vacancies
themselves. the one thing they all required was a love the outdoors, a
good sense of humour and level of fitness.
Browse through the
Training Directory to find courses in some of the more unusual
skills to add a touch of je ne sais quoi to your CV.
Information and in depth articles
Check out the features section here