Salary: £17,960.00 - £19,925.00 Per Annum
Duration: Until March 2023
The role will assist the reserve team with the practical estate management of Ham Wall nature reserve on the Somerset Levels.
- Undertake practical site management and general site maintenance work. This may involve working with other reserves staff, volunteers and contractors and graziers to ensure that quality site management, efficiency and value for money is maximised.
- Working with the Warden to assist in the planning, organisation and implementation of specific work tasks in accordance with the site management plans, and in consultation with others as appropriate.
- Assist with the smooth operation of the work base by taking day to day responsibility for the maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Work with the Warden and Assistant Warden to develop and increase volunteer input to reserves management and work proactively with volunteers across all relevant aspects of work, according to agreed RSPB procedure. This may include leading volunteer workgroups. (This element of the work will be dependent upon what is possible under Coronavirus restrictions).
- Help to deliver communications and visitor management with the public, RSPB members, volunteers, and other landowners in relation to RSPB Ham Wall, working with other staff across the organisation. Being responsible for completing all above tasks in compliance with Health & Safety policy to minimise risk to the RSPB.
What we need from you
- Degree or diploma in Countryside Management or related subject or equivalent work experience
- Broad understanding of British wildlife
- Knowledge of farming, forestry and other land management
- Knowledge of simple biological survey and monitoring techniques
- Knowledge of Health and Safety issues related to reserves and their management
- Current full driving license
- Servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards
- Chainsaw certificates (formerly known as CS30 & 31)
- Brushcutter certificates (maintenance & operation)
- Computer literacy
- Proactive with the ability to work under own initiative
- Current First Aid at Work certificate
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work alone or as member of small team
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Flexible approach
Expiry date: 23:59, 29 September 2021
Click here to apply.
Closing Date: 29/09/2021 Location: Glastonbury