Canterbury Oast Trust
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and knowledgeable Discovery Gardener at The Rare Breeds Centre.
You will be responsible for the development and management of the Discovery Garden, Wildlife Garden, Propagation and Butterfly Tunnels at The Rare Breeds Centre.
The Rare Breeds Centre and Canterbury Oast Trust
The South of England Rare Breeds Centre is a busy tourist attraction. The Farm is a great day out to see traditional rare breed animals, play in the parks and visit the Discovery Garden and Butterfly Tunnel.
The Rare Breeds Centre supports the work of the Canterbury Oast Trust, a leading local charity providing high quality care and support for adults with learning disabilities across Kent and East Sussex.
It also provides valuable training opportunities for the adults with learning disabilities enabling them to develop their animal management or horticultural and customer service skills.
The Discovery Gardener vacancy
- Annual salary £18,818 - £19,305 pa
- Permanent; Full time
- Hours: 37.5 per week based on a five day week rota
- As a Discovery Gardener you will develop and maintain the Discovery Garden, Wildlife Garden, Propagation Tunnel and the seasonal Butterfly Tunnel.
- You will create a safe, interesting and friendly environment for both visitors and service users.
- You will be working alongside and providing support/training to our service users working in the Discovery Garden.
- As a Discovery Gardener you will be responsible for engaging and enhancing visitor's understanding of the garden and the wider environment
- You will also provide planned activities and educational sessions to visitors, including school groups
- Other aspects of the role will include coordinating and working with volunteers and seasonal workers and driving farm vehicles which may include towing trailers
- As a Discovery Gardener, in addition to having values and behaviours that match our own, you will ideally have:
- 5 years experience covering a broad range of plant species and appropriate horticultural techniques including some tropical plant species
- Basic knowledge of supporting, supervising and training adults with learning disabilities all of whom have differing abilities and needs
- A friendly and approachable personality with excellent customer service skills in a similar tourist environment.
- 22 days annual leave plus statutory bank holidays; Additional annual leave for 3,4 and 5 years continuous service
- Paid DBS check
- Contributory pension scheme
- Healthcare Cash Plan on completion of 6 month probationary period
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Free entry to Rare Breeds Centre - 2 adults & 2 children
All appointments are subject to:
- proof of eligibility to work in the UK
- an enhanced check with the Disclosure and Barring Service
- two satisfactory references (one of which must be from your current or most recent employer)
- a full and detailed employment history
- full manual driving licence, be over 21 and have held your full licence for at least one year
If you believe you have the right values and behaviours for our organisation and you meet the requirements of this Discovery Gardener role then we would love to hear from you.
Interviews will be held by face to face in a socially distanced environment and in adherence with Covid-19 protocols.
This advert will close on 17th September 2021. However we reserve the right to close this vacancy early.
Previous applicants of this role need not apply.
Please apply here
Closing Date: 17/09/2021 Location: Woodchurch