The Future Forest Company
Regional Land Manager
Who are we
The Future Forest Company: We are on a mission to remove as much excess CO2 from the atmosphere as we can in order to avoid the most disastrous effects of global warming and the climate crisis. We’re achieving this through a range of carbon removal processes. Some are familiar and already proven, for example, planting forests or restoring peatland. Some are yet to be done at scale, such as producing biochar and spreading rock dust on the ground. We have bold ambitions and want to grow rapidly, acquiring over 50,000 hectares, planting millions of trees and removing megatons of CO2.
What is the role
You will be responsible for the comprehensive land management of a group of properties in Scotland. Reporting to the COO, you will: manage staff at each of our sites; help plan the development of new sites; oversee core land management and forestry administration; and, develop our existing sites in line with our business strategy. Activities on the sites include tree planting, forestry operations, livestock management, ecotourism, maintenance, power generation and the production of biochar.
This role will be crucial in:
- Maximising the carbon removal from each of your sites, while protecting biodiversity and respecting local ecosystems.
- Managing your site managers and wider workforce.
- Developing sites to help support ecotourism and educational engagement.
- Helping deploy novel methods for carbon removal, including the scaling of biochar and enhanced weathering.
- Building strong ties with local communities and local/regional bodies within your areas.
- Maintaining good relations with key suppliers.
- Overseeing small-scale projects on your sites (such as the commissioning of new equipment or the development of renewable energy sources).
- Developing plans for new sites that the business is purchasing.
- Sharing lessons with other regional managers to ensure best practice across the business and maximal removal of carbon.
What are we looking for
We’re looking for someone who has a strong background in delivery, with strong leadership, high levels of management competence and an agile mindset.
You must have:
- Proven experience of leading diverse teams.
- The ability to manage basic administration, including routine reporting, budgeting and government subsidy/grant applications.
- Previous experience in one or more of: project management, estate management, agriculture, forestry or ecotourism.
- An ability to learn fast.
- The willingness to travel regularly across Scotland.
You should have:
- A basic understanding of climate change solutions.
- Some experience of project management.
- Previous experience overseeing the management of rural estates.
- Exposure to peatland restoration and woodland creation projects.
What you get
- Salary range £40K+ (depending on experience)
- Shares in The Future Forest Company
- A comprehensive package to cover your travel - in 2022 we hope to provide your role with an electric vehicle.
- Team building days & company ‘on sites’
- The chance to help build a company that is leading the way in the fight against climate change
- Industry leading pension scheme
For more information and details of how to apply click here
Closing date: 31st October 2021
Delete Date: 14/10/2021 Location: Home Based