The Future Forest Company
We are recruiting a permanent role of Property Manager for our large site (800 ha) on the beautiful Scottish island of Mull. The diversity of habitats and buildings across the site have been underdeveloped previously and we are looking for an experienced, energetic and talented individual (or couple) to lead its transformation. A new herd of highland cattle is being created alongside an established sheep flock and drove of wooly pigs.
We need an experienced land or conservation manager with excellent project management and engagement experience. The role will report to the Regional Manager and work closely with the local community, specialist colleagues, contractors, and project funders to ensure the design and delivery of a wide ranging programme of works.
Our vision for the site includes woodland creation, peatland restoration, sustainable agriculture, and habitat enhancements including along the rivers and coastline. We also want to realise the huge potential from the built properties across the site, and opportunities for renewables, ecotourism, and community-led initiatives such as affordable housing and district heating.
These will all help deliver the company's objectives for carbon sequestration, biodiversity, and community benefits.
The role will include:
- Ensuring the site meets its considerable potential for delivering climate, conservation and community objectives.
- Leading the vision and direction for the site through production and delivery of an integrated management plan. This will involve the development and delivery of a diverse portfolio of projects.
- Developing and managing the property budget.
- Working with colleagues to secure external income.
- Working with the local community, key stakeholders, and neighbouring landowners and businesses.
- Ensuring the upkeep and regeneration of the site's infrastructure.
- Maximising other revenue sources, including ecotourism and enhanced visitor experiences.
- Taking responsibility for the safe and compliant management of operations, working with colleagues to ensure risks are managed.
You must be an experienced and professional land manager. You should have a track record of meeting challenging environmental and business targets. You should also match the Future Forest Company's values and ethos, in particular showing a genuine interest in protecting the environment, fighting climate change and building a better tomorrow. You should be able to learn quickly and operate within a dynamic and agile environment.
- Five years of land management experience.
- Proven experience of developing and managing ambitious land-based projects.
- Skills in managing people and working with contractors, local partners, and stakeholders.
- Experience of managing budgets and government grants, including financial & land management plans with a strong working knowledge of rural payment schemes.
- Contract management experience.
- Experience of renovation and refurbishment of built properties in a rural setting.
- Empathy with our environmental and climate messages.
- Experience of woodland creation, peatland restoration or regenerative farming.
- Awareness of livestock management
- Ability to manage risks, compliance and health and safety on sites.
- Current driving licence and the ability to travel to other company locations.
What you get
- £35-£42K (depending on experience)
- Shares in The Future Forest Company
- Accommodation can be provided
- Industry leading pension scheme
- Team building days & company offsites at our land in Scotland
- The chance to help build a company that is leading the way in the fight against climate change
Closing Date: 31/10/2021 Location: Isle of Mull