The Future Forest Company
The Future Forest Company
We are on a mission to remove as much excess CO2 from the atmosphere as we can, in order to avoid the most disastrous effects of global warming and the climate crisis. We're achieving this by planting forests that are profitable, meaning we can scale up our land holding, plant millions of trees, and grow a climate solution which removes significant amounts of CO2 from the atmosphere. Our tools to do this have expanded from reforestation alone to co-deploying reforestation with biochar and enhanced weathering, two relatively new carbon removal technologies being trialled, potentially increasing the amount of carbon sequestered per hectare by an order of magnitude. We have a plan to reach 50k hectares of land holding, and plant 50 million trees.
About the role
We have an incredible opportunity for an experienced and talented property and project manager for a large site in the North of Scotland. The property is ecologically inspiring, providing opportunities to enhance diverse habitats and species, including internationally important aquatic and wetland vegetation, wintering bird populations and important peatlands.
The main objective for this site is ecological: to maximise woodland creation, peatland restoration, and habitat improvement activities whilst developing an exceptional visitor and educational experience.
We are looking for an experienced land or conservation manager with excellent project management and engagement experience. The role will report to the Regional Manager and work closely with specialist colleagues, supporting consultants, and project funders to ensure the design and delivery of a wide ranging programme of works.
We believe this new role offers an incredible opportunity for a skillful individual who shares our desire to deliver as much as possible for the planet and people around us.
The role will include:
- Ensuring the site meets its considerable potential for delivering climate, conservation and community objectives.
- Managing contracted consultants to deliver the natural heritage management plan (NHMP) to ensure a holistic approach for the site's carbon and biodiversity projects.
- Managing the consultants to target significance identification, baseline condition assessments and potential restoration works.
- Working with in-house leads on woodlands, peatlands, and livestock to develop the delivery and financial planning of the NHMP.
- Establish a comprehensive ongoing survey and monitoring regime to promote the site and secure additional funding proposals.
- Developing and managing the property’s operational budget.
- Working with the local community, key stakeholders, diverse visitors and neighbouring landowners and businesses informed by a site engagement plan.
- Ensuring the upkeep and maintenance regime of site infrastructure.
- Taking responsibility for the safe and complaint management of operations, working with colleagues to ensure risks are managed.
- At least 5 years land management experience preferably in conservation or regenerative agriculture.
- Proven experience of developing and managing ambitious land-based projects.
- Skills in managing people and working with contractors, local partners, communities and stakeholders.
- Experience of managing budgets and government grants and subsidies, including financial & land management plans.
- Contract management experience.
- Experience of GIS mapping.
- Experience of woodland creation, peatland restoration or regenerative farming.
- A solid understanding of ecologically important habitats, with survey or condition assessment experience.
- Experience of managing private residential or agricultural tenancies.
- Proven project management experience within a rural development setting.
- Empathy with our environmental and climate messages.
- Proven ability to manage risks, compliance and health and safety on sites.
- Current driving licence and the ability to travel to other company locations.
What you get
- Salary range £35k-£42k (depending on experience)
- Shares in The Future Forest Company
- Remote and flexible working environment
- Industry leading pension scheme
- Team building days & company offsites at our land in Scotland
- The chance to help build a company that is leading the way in the fight against climate change
For more information and details of how to apply click here
Closing date: 31st October 2021
Delete Date: 14/10/2021 Location: North of Scotland