Phase 1 & Bat Ecologist
We are pleased to be able to offer an opportunity for an all-round ecologist specialising in bats based in Worcester, within our small but dedicated Science Team.
A variable and stimulating role, a large part of which will be ecological surveying and writing Phase 1 Habitat Survey Reports. You will need to have sound, UK-based, knowledge of field botany and zoology.
Essential skills for this role include:
- The ability to identify all common and widespread species of trees, shrubs, grasses, flowering plants, birds, reptiles & amphibians, and habitat-types likely to be encountered in a typical field survey, including larger invertebrates of conservation interest;
- Good spoken and written English, with experience of scientific report writing.
- Familiarity with relevant aspects of the British planning system and current regulations (including EU as applied to UK), guidance and best practice as they relate to wildlife and biodiversity, including BS 42020, UKBAP species & habitats, the CIEEM ecological survey guidance and protected species licensing;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and associated programs.
The post is permanent and full time, with an initial 6-month probationary period. You will be based at our Martley office but UK travel will be required. COVID-19 Health and Safety requirements will always be met.
Duties will include:
- Undertaking Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Phase 1 Ecology Surveys & Daytime Bat Assessments, along with some other ecological field work;
- Producing reports and other associated document writing for the above surveys using our in-house templates to a high standard (support will be provided in this area, if needed);
- Meeting clients and their agents on sites;
- Regular reporting to the other members of the team;
- All the varied work demanded by modern ecological consultancy.
Particularly important attributes include:
- Relevant experience and survey licences, (Relevant first degree from a mainstream UK University is desirable);
- Membership of CIEEM or equivalent;
- Suitable professional experience;
- (At least) Level 1 bat survey licence;
A clean driving licence and your own car, though company “pool” vans are available to staff for survey work where required.
We are seeking applicants committed to a long term career with us.
In the first instance, please email your full CV to email@example.com with a letter setting out why you think you would be suited to the post (one side of A4).
Closing Date: 04/10/2021 Location: Martley, Worcester