Orkney Native Wildlife Project
Location: Orkney, Kirkwall Office
Salary: £22,986.00 - £25,500.00 Pro Rata
Duration: 12 months Fixed Term
This is a Contract, Part-Time role for 12 months, 15 hours per week.
This project is working with local communities and landowners to undertake the world’s largest stoat eradication operation on a mixture of privately and publicly owned land.
You will be involved in:
- Engaging with landowners to maintain and secure land access agreements across the Orkney Mainland and linked isles.
- Trap deployment and removal
- Checking, cleaning and rebaiting a network of over 5,000 traps on a regular cycle as part of a team. This will include removing catches from traps and disposing of them in line with project protocols.
- Implementing trap and vehicle maintenance schedules.
- Ensuring that all necessary trap field and maintenance data are collected and captured into a database.
- Assisting in stoat monitoring.
You will enjoy being outdoors and be able to perform a repetitive task to a consistently high standard. You will be a focussed individual with impeccable attention to detail and the ability to maintain accurate records. You will be able to identify issues and risks as they emerge and communicate these effectively to your team. You will have the confidence and ability to inspire trust and support for the project, and an ability to win over hearts and minds and motivate people. You will be required to drive ONWP fleet vehicles and will have a full driver’s licence.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Understanding of the impact of invasive non-native species
- Ability to use own initiative
- Be physically fit
- Ability to be self-motivated, work efficiently within a defined work plan
- Practical recording skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Demonstrable, transferable identification and practical field skills appropriate to the post
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A degree in relevant subject or equivalent experience e.g., a degree in conservation biology or 1 year+ experience trapping in the field.
- Ability to use relevant Microsoft office apps. e.g., outlook, excel and teams
- Other relevant field skills appropriate to the post (i.e., use of trail cameras, knowledge and identification of field signs, use of conservation detection dogs, ATV training, 4x4 driving experience, shooting).
Closing date: 23:59, 03 October 2021
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from week commencing 11th October 2021.
Click HERE to apply.
Closing Date: 03/10/2021 Location: Orkney