Forest Craftsperson - East Devon
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Smoky Bottom Lodge, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton, Somerset TA3 5BN
Forestry England manages England’s beautiful, diverse and productive, publicly owned woods and forests, and is the largest provider of home-grown sustainably produced timber in England, selling around 1.4 million tonnes per year, nearly half the English-grown annual supply.
This is a unique opportunity to join our dedicated Land Management Team in the West England Forest District, responsible for the sustainable management of over 36,500ha of the public forest estate in the West and South-West of England.
We are looking for an individual to take up the role of forest craftsperson; in East Devon based at Smoky Bottom Lodge, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton, Somerset TA3 5BN
The East Devon beat is led by an area Forester who is supported by a Work Supervisor. The successful applicant will work alongside an existing Forest Craftsperson.
- To help maintain and enhance the Public Forest Estate within the East Devon beat, using a full range of practical forestry and countryside skills.
- Actively maintain productive relationships with a variety of stakeholders and represent Forestry England during day to day tasks throughout the forest.
Key Works Areas
- Carry out a wide range of practical works including tree planting, weeding, fencing and tree felling.
- Undertake data gathering tasks such as tree marking and measuring, tree safety inspections and the assessment of crop development on restock sites.
- Ensure all work is undertake in a safe manner in accordance with industry best practice (FISA guides).
- Help maintain productive links with neighbours, local communities, external partners, contractors and volunteers.
- City & Guilds NPLTC Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance, Cross Cutting and Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm or equivalent qualifications.
- Experience of practical work in the countryside and a general understanding of forestry, nature conservation, outdoor recreation and countryside related issues.
- Evidence of good interpersonal and communication skills.
- City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Felling and Processing Trees Over 380mm or equivalent.
- GCSE at level C or above in Maths and English Language or equivalent demonstrable experience.
- A National Vocational Qualification in forestry or other land-based activity or visitor management.
For further information regarding this role and to apply online, please click here
Closing Date: 17/10/2021 Location: Taunton, Somerset