Appletons is a small well established independent consultancy based in Bolton, Lancashire delivering a wide range of high-quality environmental services including ecology, landscape architecture and arboriculture. The practice works across a variety of sectors including the planning and development process. We are now seeking an experienced / principal ecologist to join our small ecology team.
The Role of experienced/ Principal Ecologist
You will be an ecologist with several years of professional experience, capable of taking on and running projects some of which will be large and potentially complex. You will be well grounded in the principles of ecology and have a thorough understanding of lowland habitats and species. You will be expected to play a part in the running of the ecology side of the consultancy, having a proactive approach, good business instincts and a flair for organisation. Ethical considerations will be important to you.
Our office is located on the outskirts of Bolton with good transport links.
- Co-ordinating with other staff to deliver a busy survey programme.
- Bidding for, managing and delivering projects of varying size.
- Building and maintaining strong client relationships.
- Preparing EcIAs, technical reports, tenders.
- Proven experience of the EIA/AA process, EPS licence applications and Biodiversity Net Gain assessments • Critically reviewing and checking technical reports, mitigation proposals and management plans.
- Survey work.
Other essential skills, experience and personality we are looking for in a candidate are:
- An honours/masters degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Associate or full member of CIEEM;
- Holder of protected species survey licences (level 2 bat licence and level 1 GCN licence is essential);
- Holder of European protected species mitigation license/ named ecologist on EPS licenses;
- Experience of undertaking a range of habitat and protected species surveys including extended phase 1 habitat surveys, botanical surveys including Phase 2 and National Vegetation Classification (NVC) surveys and phase 2 protected species surveys in accordance with recognised best practice guidelines;
- Confident in liaising directly with clients, local planning authorities, Natural England and subcontractors whilst demonstrating excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of European and national nature conservation legislation and UK planning policy;
- Full current UK driving licence;
In return, the successful candidate can expect to receive a number of benefits including:
- Competitive salary;
- Option to work either part-time or full-time;
- Flexibility to work part-time from home by agreement;
- Flexible TOIL Scheme;
- Contributory Pension Scheme;
- Payment of professional membership fees;
- The opportunity to work in a positive, friendly, relaxed working environment with a small team of passionate, good humoured and like-minded individuals.
More information about Appletons can be found on the website at www.appletons.uk.com
To apply for this position, please send your CV, with a covering letter, for the attention of Lorna Cruice to email@example.com