International - Gough Island
£21,718 to £24,294
Fixed term for 12 months
The Gough Island Restoration Programme is seeking Aviculturists who will be involved with the execution of the captive management strategy for two land bird species during the restoration operation on Gough Island.
This position would suit a professional bird-keeper, with some field conservation experience. Alternatively, this could be a proficient field biologist, with significant bird-keeping expertise.
Candidates should have proficiency in some of the following:
- 2 years of aviculture experience
- Fieldwork experience
- Practical/technical skills to be able to contribute to camp life
- Bird identification skills.
- Map reading and GPS experience.
- Data collection/data management skills.
- Previous experience working abroad and in remote field stations.
- A high level of fitness
- Experience of working collaboratively with project partners, academic institutions, and other stakeholders.
- A willingness to embrace mud, rain, wind, other challenging fieldwork conditions and basic living conditions.
- A willingness to minimise the connection with the "outside world" for the duration of the project.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organisational skills, to be able to spend many months with a limited group of people in a confined situation, being able to help diffuse any tensions and add to group cohesion.
- Self-motivated, adaptable and with a positive approach to working either as a team or alone.
- A willingness to accept the realities of an eradication project.
- A willingness to travel on expedition yachts for long voyages.
Closing: 30 October 2020