Farm Estate Worker
An amazing opportunity to be involved with three RSPB Reserves on the Cumbrian Coast stretching from Hodbarrow in the South, St Bees Head in the West and Campfield Marsh in the north.
This exciting role will work on a variety of habitats including a coastal lagoon, peat bog, sea cliffs, Saltmarsh and wet grassland.
Farm Estate Worker
Location: Cumbrian Coast Reserves
Salary: £17,960- £19,925 (Pro Rata)
Hours: 18.75 hours per week (Part-Time)
Based predominantly at RSPB Campfield Marsh we are recruiting for an estate worker to assist with the everyday running of the Reserves to ensure they are the best they can be for wildlife and for visitors.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working on nature reserves or farms and have extensive practical skills including using farm machinery such as tractors, post knockers and toppers. The role will be varied with a variety of tasks however the main responsibility for the successful candidate will be the maintenance of 6km of electric predator fencing as well as maintenance of machinery.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Demonstrable experience of safely using and maintaining farm machinery and tractors including toppers, post knocker, quad bike.
- Maintenance of buildings and infrastructure to ensure they are operating as required.
- Maintenance of livestock infrastructure and assisting with the welfare of livestock to ensure we meet all animal welfare and cross compliance legislation
- Experience of fencing -both installing and repairing. To include livestock fences, boundary fences and predator fences.
- Routine operation, record keeping, servicing and maintenance of machinery and vehicles to ensure they are operating safely and efficiently.
- Keeping up to date health and safety records to ensure compliance with health and safety regulations and to enable improvements to be set.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work closely with others - graziers and other staff members/volunteers.
- Common sense and a 'can-do' attitude
- You will have knowledge and experience of practical land and habitat management.
- Knowledge of servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards.
- Comfortable lone working / working in remote locations
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Lantra or equivalent qualification in Tractor driving, quad bike driving and brushcutter
- Livestock management - although you won't be responsible for livestock you may be required to work along-side graziers.
- Knowledge/understanding of nature conservation.
- Knowledge of the RSPB Cumbria Coast Reserves and habitats
Closing: 07 November
To complete your application please click here.
Closing Date: 07/11/2021 Location: RPPB Reserves, Cumbria Coast