Forester - Abbeystead Estate
The Abbeystead Estate, Lancashire, part of the Grosvenor Estate - which encompasses all the activities of the Grosvenor family - is recruiting for a forester to join its highly skilled and respected team that is responsible for the sustainable management of woodlands on the estate.
Reporting to the Deputy Head Forester, the role requires a practical and motivated person with forestry experience to help in delivering the annual timber harvesting programme.
The purpose of the Grosvenor Estate is for our activities to deliver lasting commercial and social benefit, contributing to the economic, social and environmental wellbeing of the communities we are part of.
Our shared values of integrity, respect and trust, stand as the hallmarks of everything we do.
For more information about the Abbeystead Estate, click here.
- Be part of a team delivering the day to day management of Abbeystead’s trees and woodlands, in particular, the delivery of the planned harvesting programme through a combination of motor manual and mechanised harvesting. Other key forestry work areas are planting, plantation maintenance, mechanical scrub clearance, mechanical preparation of sites for planting and mechanical drainage.
- Work with the Deputy Head of Forestry to plan your own work. This includes having input to monthly and weekly work programmes.
- Maintain equipment and PPE in good, clean, safe and functional order.
- Ensure H&S responsibilities are fulfilled including responsibility for your personal safety and the safety of others affected by your work and take on a shared responsibility to ensure that health and safety is complied with across all working areas.
- It is essential that Foresters understand the basic principles of forest management so that they can undertake their work to the correct standards. Therefore, experience in the sector is desirable, relevant educational qualifications is advantageous.
- Chainsaw experience and certification including chainsaw maintenance, cross-cutting and large tree felling. Windblow experience and chainsaw certificate would be advantageous.
- Experience of undertaking forestry operations and experience of tractor based forwarders is desirable, experience of excavators and excavator based harvesters is beneficial.
- It is essential that Foresters understand the logistics of forestry operations and are able to use their knowledge to organise their own work.
The successful candidate must hold a Full UK Driving Licence.
A full job description can be sent upon request.
The role will attract a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply, please e-mail your CV, along with a covering letter to email@example.com