Job Requisition Number: 4406
Work Type: Permanent & Temporary (seasonal)
Job Function: Leisure and Hospitality
Salary Range: £25,118 - £28,540 & £13.02 p/h
Base: Elan Valley
Closing Date: 23:59 - 28th May 2023
Who we are
Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water keeps 3 million people healthy each day with safe drinking water and takes away wastewater to clean, before returning it safely to our beautiful rivers and seas. When you work for Welsh Water, you’ll be joining a company full of passionate individuals, who take pride in their work and the business. In return, our dedicated teams are supported, encouraged, nurtured, developed and rewarded.
To be able to deliver high quality, essential services which help to protect the health of our customers, colleagues and our environment, we need the right people to deliver on our vision. This is achieved by living our core values and demonstrating the core behaviours that underpin them. The security of our people, assets and information is key to us, so we are looking for people who understand and comply with the company’s required security objectives.
We know that the most successful teams are the most diverse teams. Equality, diversity and inclusion provide the very foundation to our culture at Welsh Water. We want every individual to feel confident, proud and able to bring their whole selves to work. To ensure an improved representation in our workforce, applications are particularly welcome from minority groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic people, Females, LGBT+, Non-binary and people with disabilities. Together we continue to build a workplace that not only celebrates the diverse voices of our colleagues but also represents each customer we serve.
Our visitor attraction site at Elan Valley which is open all year round. Our Visitor Centre is complete with Café, Exhibition area, Gift Shop and Bike Hire. Come and join our enthusiastic team and work in one of the most beautiful sites in Mid Wales. Want to see more? Click Here to take a look at our website - www.elanvalley.org.uk
What you’ll be responsible for
You will join a great team of Rangers whose aim is to make each reservoir a leading visitor attraction in the region. You will assist the Visitor Experience Manager and wider team to safeguard and assist members of the public who visit the Reservoir, from Monday to Sunday during the open season. Duties will include:
- Ensuring a consistently high quality visitor experience through delivering commercial activities, environmental management and enforcement of byelaws, balancing our access, recreation, conservation and education responsibilities with revenue generation
- Working as part of a highly motivated customer facing team, engaging with visitors as an ambassador of Welsh Water, providing visitor information, interpreting the wildlife, angling, and amenity features to enable visitors to gain the most from our sites.
- As DCWW’s local representative, developing & building positive relationships with the local community.
- Supporting the delivery of a marketing communications plan using a range of media to grow awareness, drive footfall and commercial revenue streams
- Delivering the grounds maintenance programmes to ensure the highest possible site presentation standards including litter picking, grass cutting, maintenance of amenity routes and facilities, gates, styles, fences and signage. To undertake general maintenance of craft, site buildings, and other assets.
- Supervision of contractors for grass cutting and forestry management.
- Wildlife habitat management, working within and contributing to the implementation of a Biodiversity Action Plan, Forestry Management plans and other seasonal work plans
- Delivering an annual events programme including conservation and educational talks, public access, bike hire and recreational activities, open days etc to grow visitors and revenue, and delivery of the programme to exceed budget
- Enforce and ensure the safety of all persons on site, including all water and land based customers, recording and reporting within the ASSURE system positive interventions and incidents.
- Ensuring as a business we are compliant through training and development, legislation and that we meet our social and corporate responsibilities & companywide procedures.
- Recruitment, training, management of volunteers working alongside the onsite team; and works and safety management planning with volunteer partner groups
- Carry out any other tasks as required for the effective management of the site, as directed by the Visitor Experience Manager
Who you’ll work with
- Marketing and Comms teams
- Visitor Attraction Teams
- Operational Site managers and supervisors
- Any DCWW group using the VC as a meeting venue
- Local community & visitors
- Volunteers and volunteer groups
- Visit Wales, regional tourism networks and businesses
- NRW, conservation groups, angling clubs & RSPB
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Qualifications in Countryside, land or environmental management or similar
- Knowledge and experience of health and safety legislation, implementation, safe working practice & COSHH
- Demonstrable experience in countryside practical skills where access and recreation have been an essential element of the role
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to deliver an engaging and professional presentation to groups of all ages with varying levels of understanding
- Experience working with volunteers
- Knowledge of water safety & First Aid at work
- Rural estate and grounds maintenance experience
- Experience of delivering events on site both internally and externally
- Attained certificate in either NPTC 201,202,203. Or CS30 /CS31 maintenance and felling small tree’s. CS 50 emergency tree work (desirable)
- Wildlife or environmental knowledge or specialism would be advantageous
- Ability to speak Welsh - desirable
Good to know
We have two positions available for this role; permanent and temporary (seasonal) until March 2024
- 37 hours on an annualised hour basis, including regular weekend and bank holidays
- Permanent working 5 out of 7 days. Weekend and evening work will be required
You will also require a full driving licence for this role.
As well as a market competitive salary, 33 days annual leave (pro rata, including public holidays), we offer a range of employee benefits and rewards including:
- Variable pay schemes ((your salary band will remain the same, but performance depending, you could receive an incremental within-band increase and a yearly incentive)
- Enhanced employer pension contributions – Up to 11% employer contributions
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Progression opportunities, including the ability to apply for funded training and coaching and mentoring programmes
- Reduction on gym memberships and high street shopping
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking at all our sites
- 20% off all Welsh Water visitor attraction centres and gift shops
- Car-leasing scheme
- Health CashBack scheme
- An employee assistance programme for employees and their immediate family
- Colleague matched fundraising scheme up to the value of £500 per year for your chosen charity
Whilst also working for a not-for profit company that truly cares about earning the trust of customers everyday, and about looking after our beautiful environment
Please note, we may close this role sooner if required. We may also extend the original closing date depending on interest.
Due to the nature of the industry, we require satisfactory references, post offer medical clearance, and a criminal records Basic Disclosure check on all new employees joining the business. For some roles there may be additional checks and security clearance required, and this offer is subject all checks being satisfied. You will receive further information on how to complete these checks via email once you have accepted this offer.
Closing Date: 28/05/2023 Location: Elan Valley