National Trust for Scotland
Hours: Full time - Fixed term March to October 2021
Location: Mar Lodge Estate, Braemar, Aberdeenshire, AB35 5YJ.
Salary: £19,731 pro rata
This job exists in order to assist in the development and implementation of programmes and projects relating to visitor management, in accordance with estate priorities and needs.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Ensure a Ranger presence over the estate, and in particular the main access points for visitors at Linn of Dee, Glen Quoich and Derry Lodge, to engage with visitors to enhance their visit to the property and provide information;
- Assist in managing the parking and visitor facilities at Linn of Dee and Linn of Quoich, providing up-to-date information and interpretation. Promote responsible access, in accordance with Scottish Outdoor Access Code best practise guidance, on issues such as wild camping, open fires and human waste; Carry out regular fire patrols to prevent wildfires and educate visitors
- Carry out litter clearance, and any essential maintenance on a daily basis, to ensure quality presentation of the property;
- Prepare and deliver environmental education to visitors to encourage an interest in the natural heritage around them, promote Mar Lodge Estate and work closely with the local community;
- Supervise volunteers (individuals and groups such as Conservation Volunteers, Thistle Camps, Corporate Challenge parties) to ensure they deliver required conservation outputs and gain benefit/satisfaction from their activities;
- Promote the work of NTS and actively promote the value of Trust membership to existing and potential members; help to achieve property membership targets;
- Assist /lead in the delivery of the Ranger guided walks and events programme.
- Ensure that Ranger-led activities and work undertaken are compliant with the Trust’s health and safety policies and procedures, and environmental policy and practices;
- As required assist the Mar Lodge Ecology team in conducting the ecological monitoring programme covering various aspects of the natural heritage of Mar Lodge Estate. The main focus of the monitoring is on tree regeneration but it also involves bird survey work, vegetation and invertebrate monitoring
- There will also be close working relationships with, and assistance given when required to other Estate departments.
Interested applicants should forward a completed application form to People Department (Applications), The National Trust for Scotland, Hermiston Quay, 5 Cultins Road, Edinburgh EH11 4DF, by mail or by email: AskPEA@nts.org.uk by first post (i.e. 10.00am) on Friday 5th March 2021.
Application form - found at www.nts.org.uk/volunteering-jobs/job-search
Closing date: 5th March 2021