Assistant Warden - North Kent Marshes
Location: Northward Hill, North Kent Marshes
Salary: £21,718 - £24,924
Duration: 11 Months
The North Kent Marshes team are looking for an enthusiastic, resilient and resourceful person to help deliver its conservation objectives across the 4 reserves on the Hoo Peninsula; Northward Hill, Cliffe Pools, Higham Marshes and Shorne Marshes. The North Kent reserves consist of a variety of habitats; grazing marsh, saline and brackish lagoons, woodland, scrub and reedbeds. These habitats hold a variety of breeding birds such as Lapwing, Redshank, Nightingale, Marsh harrier and large colonies of breeding Herons and Egrets.
The successful applicant will undertake a range of habitat management and species monitoring activities across the suite of reserves in North Kent. Ideally, you will have experience in grazing marsh and woodland habitat management and monitoring and this post will, undoubtedly, enhance and develop your skills and knowledge to progress your career.
Key areas of work include:
- Habitat management as defined by the reserve’s management plan and agri-environment agreement.
- Leading and inspiring the reserve’s volunteer team.
- Monitoring of key species and habitats.
- Maintaining high standards of health and safety to minimise risk to the RSPB and to ensure understanding and compliance of health and safety while undertaking duties.
- Monitoring and maintaining reserve operations as compliant according to the various agreements and standards.
- Maintenance of machinery to ensure they are operating safely and efficiently.
- Maintenance of livestock and other infrastructure to ensure it is fit for purpose.
- Collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders from wider team members, neighbours, graziers, Reserve Ecologists etc.
- General administration and report writing associated with all of the above to ensure admin and reports are up to date and systematically organised.
What we need from you:
- Energy, adaptability and the desire to achieve.
- Experience of estate management.
- Well organised - including developing and effective prioritisation of workplans and workloads.
- Can work unsupervised, within a team or leading a team.
- Implementing and updating health and safety records and assessments.
- Experience in the safe operation and maintenance of machinery, tools and equipment.
- Lowland wet grassland habitat management for breeding and wintering waders and wildfowl knowledge.
- Woodland management knowledge.
- Experience and knowledge of surveys and monitoring of key species, especially breeding waders.
- Experience working with contractors/graziers
- Biological monitoring experience
- Agri-environment and cross-compliance regulations knowledge.
- Livestock management.
For more information and to apply click here
Closing: 14 March 2021