Cotswold Farm Park
Farm Park Livestock Supervisor
Adam Henson’s Cotswold Farm Park, one of the UK’s leading rural attractions, has been operating for over 50 years. We are currently seeking an experienced Livestock Supervisor to join our award-winning Farm Park. This full-time position offers an excellent opportunity to work with a diverse range of animals and contribute to delivering exceptional experiences to our guests.
As a Livestock Supervisor, you will oversee all aspects of routine livestock care at Adam Henson’s Cotswold Farm Park. Working with over 50 different breeds and 7 species of Rare Breed and Commercial Farm livestock, as well as smaller animals, you will ensure the highest standards of animal health, welfare, and presentation. You will report to the Livestock Manager, and collaborate closely with the Guest Experience Manager and Entertainments Team to enhance public-facing talks, demonstrations, and activities.
Communication: Regularly communicate with on-site teams, sharing information about the animals and identifying opportunities to enhance talks, displays, and demonstrations. Be available to engage with guests, sharing knowledge about the animals and activities.
Welfare and Standards: Continually improve animal welfare and care standards.
Improving Efficiency: Review and provide recommendations to improve efficiencies in working practices considerate of labour resources, time and motion and correct selection and use of equipment.
Delivery: Ensure timely and budgeted completion of routine, reactive, and planned animal care requirements, including setting up, delivering, and breaking down demonstration areas, while meeting agreed standards.
- Conduct daily checks and feeding of Farm Park livestock, ensuring proper care and transferring them to larger paddocks each night. Follow Livestock Manager's guidelines for managing grazing paddocks and maintaining grass and cleanliness.
- Oversee the poultry breeding program, coordinating with the Guest Experience Manager to ensure sufficient chicks for handling and maximizing egg sales.
- Identify and address health issues in livestock, seeking assistance when necessary.
- Follow the Livestock Manager’s guidance in all areas of breeding, rearing and weaning of all species when required.
- Perform routine animal husbandry tasks such as foot care, worming, vaccinations and crutching.
- Maintain cleanliness of animal housing, shelters, hutches, nest boxes, and ponds, ensuring animals have access to clean drinking water and food throughout the day.
- Provide animal veterinary and medicinal care, maintaining records and organising medicine storage areas at CFP.
- Assist with birthing, including lambing, kidding, calving and foaling – largely to be undertaken in public areas.
- Under Livestock managers guidance update feed maps and routine cleaning/disinfecting instructions for accurate record-keeping and interpretation by the team.
- Coordinate with the Guest Experience Manager to arrange assistance from the Entertainments Team for Livestock Duties and provide cover during days off, holidays, or busy periods.
- Ensure effective handover and instructions for periods requiring cover or additional help.
- Collaborate with the Guest Experience team to assist in delivering visitor activities and events.
- Plan works and activities to enhance the customer experience, introducing yourself and explaining your tasks whenever possible.
Health and Safety:
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety regulations related to Farm Park equipment and livestock activities and displays.
- Work with the Farm Park management team to ensure compliance with insurance and industry guidelines for livestock activities.
Farm Operations & Maintenance:
- Conduct regular stock takes and order consumables and feed.
- Remove muckheaps using the JCB farm telehandler and trailers.
- Muck out animal housing using JCB or Avant telehandlers and trailers.
- Assist with feeding operations, including topping up or clearing ring feeders.
- Manage equipment and stock availability for efficient Livestock Operations, including large and small bales, feed hoppers/bags, and portable runs.
- Maintain and service farm machinery and tools under the guidance of the Livestock Manager.
- Coordinate with the Maintenance Manager regarding maintenance requirements, both to request additional practical help and to seek advice and guidance on areas outside of your skill set.
- Ensure the safety and maintenance of livestock equipment, water troughs, and stock fences, reporting any maintenance needs.
- Paddock sweeping and paddock tractor duties, including topping, harrowing, rolling etc.
All team members are expected to demonstrate the following skills and behaviours: job knowledge, quality and quantity of work, self-motivation and initiative, effective communication, positive attitude towards colleagues, understanding of documentation, customer knowledge, safety and organisation, timekeeping and attendance.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Minimum of 3 years' hands-on farm livestock care experience in an agricultural setting.
- Animal husbandry skills, including catching, health checking, and administering tasks such as foot care and medicine/injections.
- All-terrain telehandler certificate.
- Experience using farm machinery
- Full driving license, and own vehicle (not required for work, but the commute from the farm cottage will require a vehicle)
- 2 references from previous employers and/or course tutors.
- Agricultural qualifications or Further Education in relevant subjects.
- Sit in ATV operation certificate.
- PA1 and PA6 (Knapsack Spraying Certificate).
- Maintenance experience including fencing, property repairs, alkythene plumbing
This is a full-time, permanent position, with immediate start available.
Working hours are typically between 8 am and 5 pm, with flexibility required during busy periods. The working pattern is 5 days per week, with weekend and bank holiday cover on a rota basis.
Pay is £12-12.50/hr depending on experience, plus paid holiday equivalent to 23 days plus bank holidays per year.
Additional overtime hours on the commercial farm during busy periods will be required.
This role involves physical work in an outdoor environment, covering a large area on foot, and requires regular manual handling.
Shared rental accommodation on the Farm is available if required.
Interviews will begin as soon as suitable candidates are identified, so early applications are encouraged. To apply click here
Closing Date: 10/06/2023 Location: GL54 5UF