We are a specialist Ecological, Arboricultural and Landscape consultancy that prides itself on having the same core values that it did 15 years ago when we were founded. We have experienced sustainable growth throughout this period and have become renowned by our clients for our pragmatic, solution-based approach to consultancy. We work for a variety of clients ranging from multinational prestigious organisations to one off small projects for homeowners.
SES is part of the RSK Group who are a conglomerate of approximately 177 individual businesses operating within the environmental, engineering, and technical services industries. Being part of this wider network of UK and international businesses run by entrepreneurs, provides SES with the perfect springboard for growth as a team and as individuals.
We are passionate about the quality of service we provide. We understand that by providing a personalised and professional service we are helping to secure the future growth of the company. We are professional, pragmatic consultants who strive to meet the needs of our clients and to deliver a product we are proud to put our name to. Based in Essex, SES has a team of 52 qualified ecologists, landscape architects, arboriculturists, and coordination and support staff.
Why Join Us?
SES are seeking an experienced Ecologist to join our highly skilled ecology team on a full time, permanent basis to be located at our Downham office near Billericay in Essex.
At SES we will provide you with a unique opportunity to develop by exposing you to a diverse schedule of work, helping you to progress your career with us. Full training and support will be given to allow you to grow rounded skill sets such as project management, technical expertise and client management skills. We ensure that everyone has a continuous professional development plan in place that means all staff achieve their personal goals. We take pride in developing our people and allowing them to grow into the consultant they want to be, this ethos has created a highly motivated team which deliver bespoke ecological solutions to our clients, providing the platform for growth and the opportunity for new people to join our exciting company.
Over the last five years, we have grown within the infrastructure sectors and support a number of clients with their programme of rail and power network improvement schemes. Our ecological work includes due diligence reporting, land appraisals, expert witness, project management, habitat design and creation, protected species surveys and ecological impact assessments and as a core member of the team, you will have an opportunity to work on a variety of exciting and interesting projects.
There are also opportunities for flexible working hours, working from home, social activities and community involvement projects to achieve a good work-life balance.
• Actively engage as a member of the ecology team and wider SES team promoting the business and maintaining company reputation and standards.
• Carry out field surveys as required including planning and managing own time.
• Conduct Preliminary Ecological Appraisals in accordance with published guidelines.
• Manage a variety of projects from small scale developments and/or single-species mitigation, to more complex projects (with support from more experienced team members).
• Assist in the co-ordination of ecological surveys.
• Provide coherent and timely project management.
• Deliver professional, ethical, high quality ecological consultancy services to a variety of clients.
• Produce good quality written reports in a timely manner.
• Provide manual labour support on site when required (within training and qualification competence).
• Provide ecological advice to clients, where necessary attend meetings face to face, onsite or online / on the phone, maintaining good quality advise and communication in a timely manner.
If you like the sound of our company and would like to join our team, then we would love to hear from you. Please confirm that you have the following skills and experience before applying.
• A relevant degree in ecology or a proven track record within a professional ecological consultancy.
• A proven track record within a professional ecological consultancy (minimum of two years’), including managing projects, undertaking surveys and assisting more experienced team members.
• Good working knowledge of ecology, legislation, and survey techniques, including protected species surveys and mitigation.
• Good level of botanical survey identification.
• Understanding of the application of relevant protected species planning policies; NPPF & Local Plans in relation to development.
• Understanding of the application of the current protected species mitigation licensing processes
• Experience in ecological assessment, protected species survey, and for development projects for example housing, commercial, transportation, and power.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good working knowledge of MS Office programs, in particular Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
• Attention to detail along with excellent communication skills at all levels.
• Pro-active and organised mindset with the ability to multi-task and prioritise busy workloads efficiently.
• Full UK driving license with access to your own vehicle and within a commutable distance to our office.
• Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM).
• A survey licence holder for at least one protected species.
• The ability to formulate appropriate and proportionate protected species mitigation strategies including both licensed and non-licensed schemes.
• Experience of designing and supervising protected species mitigation projects including capture, exclusion translocation and habitat creation.
• Experienced in the preparation of quotations and tenders.
• Familiarity with Biodiversity Net Gain.
• Experience with GIS mapping.
Benefits of working with SES:
• Competitive salary
• Increasing holiday entitlement for every year of service
• Extra day off on your birthday
• Flexible working
• Childcare voucher scheme
• Generous benefit package
• Overtime – subject to requirement
• Company mobile phone and laptop (role dependant)
• Training budget and progression plan
• Opportunities to develop your career with a growing business
(All subject to the terms of the company handbook)
SES are an equal opportunities employer
SES will strictly refrain from demonstrating bias or prejudice towards individual differences which will be valued and protected. People will be given the chance to work in a discrimination-free environment which will help everyone feel that their worth and rights are respected.
Please apply to Hazel@ses-eco.co.uk
Closing Date: 23/06/2023 Location: Essex
See everything from this employer