Canal and River Trust
Boat Operative – Part time
For more information and to apply click here
We're the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water. Every role across the Trust plays its part in transforming our canals and rivers into spaces where local people want to spend time and feel better, bringing wellbeing benefits to millions.
We have a fantastic opportunity for an outgoing individual to join our North West team, on a part time basis (1,474 annualised hours per year).
- Approx 30 hours p/w March – Oct
- Approx 12 hours p/w Nov - Feb
Working at the Anderton Boat Lift Visitor Centre, the role’s primary duty is the safe operation of our 56-seater passenger trip boat. In addition, potentially working in a shop, catering or generally at the site as needed.
Delivering excellent service through live commentaries and activities to a variety of audiences, the execution of boating obligations, including boat maintenance and training exercises, to provide an exceptional environment for customers to enjoy, the upselling of commercial products and maintenance of the site when required.
About the role
- Responsible for the overall safety of customers during boarding, passage and alighting. Ensure the operation of the boat to required timetables/ rotas, in accordance with operating procedures. Undertake briefings to customers.
- Complete required logs and reports. Lead emergency response if required. Report incidents, undertake risk assessment processes.
- Undertake required operating processes/ checks, routine, or minor maintenance within area of competence. Maintain required logs. Ensure day to day fit for purpose of the craft, identify and report faults.
- Provide excellent service to Canal & River Trust customers at our visitor attraction. Participate in the theatre of the trip – make presentations to customers and other activities as required. Be flexible in working practices working in retail, a coffee shop or generally at the site if needed for the good running of the site. Assist in a range of tasks, at specific events provide backup to office-based functions if required.
- Adopt appropriate safety standards on board. Brief customers using safety procedures to required standard.
- Work with volunteers and new employees being a role model/ mentor for them to assist the person acquiring the necessary understanding of the role requirements, ensuring that they enjoy their experience with the Trust.
- Displaying the Trust values and behaviours at all times
- Ensuring that diversity and inclusion are integrated into all aspects of Trust life and promoting inclusion by challenging behaviour, practices, actions, or decisions that are counter to the objectives of the Trust’s policies and values.
Skills & Qualifications
- Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent).
- Boat Masters Licence Grade 3.
- Passenger Carrying Vehicle Licence if role requires.
- Proven experience in the operation of a trip boat or workboat.
- Competency based training for specific tasks/ roles/ use of equipment.
- Ability to command a boat and lead people.
- Judgement and initiative in the delivery of safety evacuations and training exercises.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of people to pass safety critical information concisely as well as informative/ promotional information.
- Customer Service training qualification – Welcome Host or other equivalent
- Some experience in a customer facing role within a leisure or customer service environment, or in a direct sales environment.
- Literate in the use of computers, internet.
What We Offer
At the Trust we care passionately for our waterways, and as importantly, for those who look after and use them. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do as a Trust.
In addition to your annual salary of £18,882 (FTE to be pro-rated), we offer a generous pension scheme and other benefits. Further details can be found here.
We are striving to represent the diverse communities that we are a part of. All candidates will be treated on the basis of their merits, skills and abilities and solely by being assessed against the requirements for the job. Many of our vacancies can be considered for people who wish to work flexibly, job share or part time.
Find out more about the work we do and opportunities we have on our website
Closing date: 23:59, 20/6/2021
Closing Date: 20/06/2021 Location: Northwich, Cheshire