London or Leamington Spa
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Ecologist to join our thriving and growing biodiversity team in London and Leamington Spa.
The ideal candidate will have broad experience and knowledge of UK ecology including ecological survey, biodiversity legislation, policy and licensing procedures and ecological mitigation techniques (and their delivery and supervision). You will also have experience in preparing (and ideally reviewing reports and documentation to support consenting regimes.
As a Senior Ecologist within Wood, you will be working closely with other members of the team and colleagues in other technical disciplines, delivering ecological support on a variety of projects with opportunities to manage (or task manage) a range of exciting projects. This will include acting as project lead, designing, and leading surveys, conducting technical reporting and supporting on bid writing and mentoring in order to support the growth and development of the ecology team.
The role will include:
- Designing and conducting ecological surveys including protected species (including bats, reptiles, badgers, great crested newts, otter and water vole)
- Task managing/leading delivery of ecology survey requirements
- Conducting and/or managing extended Phase 1 and UK Habs surveys
- The production of reports and mapping including desk studies, baseline reports, mitigation strategies and supporting in EcIA delivery
- Supporting in the production of proposals and bids.
- Conducting and/or overseeing Ecological Clerk of Works
Why work for Wood?
Within the UK, Wood has one of the largest biodiversity, EIA and planning consultancy teams. Our UK biodiversity resource is made up of around 70 diverse and passionate specialists who take pride in delivering a wide range of high-quality ecological services on complex projects across a diverse range of sectors in UK and international markets, including low carbon and hydrogen, transport, renewables, nuclear, power, waste, minerals and property.
Working at Wood offers unique opportunities to develop both personally and professionally, with a strong focus on work-life balance and support for all colleagues within a friendly, close-knit team. Early career ecologists are fully supported through line management, a mentoring and buddy system, with opportunities to join a variety of working groups within the business. This allows our ecologists to shape a flexible and tailored career path within the business, with support from colleagues with a wide range of technical and non-technical expertise.
Salary & Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Annual professional membership subscription
- Funding to attend internal and external technical training courses to develop technical knowledge and skills
- Hybrid / Flexible Working
- Company car or cash alternative (including for personal use)
- Competitive 25 days holiday with options to buy / sell up additional days leave (in addition to bank holidays)
- Flexible benefits scheme including health insurance, life assurance, flexible working, cycle to work scheme and contributory pension scheme
- TOIL / overtime system
- An undergraduate ecology or related degree
- Experience of working in an ecology-related role
- Strong work ethic with an aptitude to show initiative
- Good working knowledge of environmental legislation and planning policy
- Experience in conducting extended Phase 1 and UK Habs surveys
- Experience in designing, undertaking, and leading ecological surveys for protected species
- Experience in acting as (or understanding requirements of) an Ecological Clerk of Works
- Experience in writing (and ideally reviewing) high quality technical reports such as baseline reports, preliminary ecological appraisal, and ecological mitigation strategies
- Experience in EcIA and in designing and delivering ecological mitigation
- Experience in project or task management including financial management
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and/or client/contractor liaison
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
- Flexibility to stay away overnight and to work away from home
- Clean, full UK driver’s licence
- MSc or PhD in ecology or similar
- One or more protected species licences
- Experience in botanical identification
- Experience writing European Protected Species mitigation licences
- Working knowledge of biodiversity offsetting and net gain principles
- Experience in bat survey and sound analysis
- Experience of energy generation and transmission projects
For further information or to apply, please visit our website
Delete Date: 12/07/2022 Location: London or Leamington Spa