Derbyshire County Council
Head of Countryside Service
£47,181 - £52,640 - Plus market leading package (see below)
Job term: Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Closing Date: 30 January 2022
Derbyshire County Council have an exciting new opportunity for Head of Countryside Service within our Place Department. Our Department is embarking on a challenging and exciting transformation programme, led by the newly appointed Executive Director.
Our Countryside Service’s vision is to protect, enhance and promote the network of countryside sites across the county, for people, strong communities, and a healthy and nature-rich environment and this role is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced and strategically minded individual who has the enthusiasm and momentum to make a difference and lead a team who are dedicated to supporting our vision.
You will ensure the overall effectiveness of service delivery, identify new models of working to improve outcomes and secure financial efficiencies and maximise the team’s potential, motivation and performance.
Key aspects of this role also include:
- Taking a strategic and operational leadership role to provide an effective and sustainable Countryside Service across Derbyshire with the management of our countryside assets (4,478 acres of land, including Sites of Special Scientific Interest, reservoirs, canals, greenways, and physical structures).
- Ensuring services are aligned to the Council’s Climate Change Agenda ensuring we are compliant with all obligations and meet agreed targets
- Lead on ensuring the proper management and review of the Council’s land and water assets, ensuring the provision of expert advice and guidance
- Lead the preparation, implementation, and monitoring of programmes to achieve continuous improvement in the service, including development of business plans and the Countryside Service Strategy that protect and increase the County’s biodiversity.
- Ensure that the Service, its assets, facilities, and activities are properly promoted and that opportunities for new public, private and community sector partnerships are explored and developed, greater external funding opportunities secured, and appropriate commercial models of working are pursued.
This list is not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile on our Derbyshire County Council jobs website for more detail.
What skills/experience will you need?
- Substantial managerial experience at a senior level in a directly related field.
- The ability to objectively assess need and make strategic decisions in relation to service priorities and work across service boundaries
- Great leadership skills to lead and manage a multi-functional service in a customer lead environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of countryside services, access to green space and asset management including functions, legislation, policies and guidance and an understanding of conservation land management and Woodland and Tree Care.
- Managing a number of substantial service revenue and capital budgets and identifying external grant funding opportunities and identifying efficiencies or invest to save opportunities.
- Ability to lead multi-agency strategic partnerships to develop long term strategies and deliver shared outcomes.
- Project and programme leadership and management skills to build high levels of confidence in the delivery of complex projects.
- Ability to apply commercial practices to public sector services to generate income with sound financial and business awareness.
Derbyshire is a wonderful place to live, visit and work. The post will be based at County Hall at Matlock, in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales.
And what’s in it for you?
- 29 days of annual leave plus another 5 with 5 years of continuous service
- Flexible working scheme allowing up to an additional 2 days off per month
- Generous local government pension scheme
- Guaranteed incremental annual pay increases
- Discounts at selected county leisure centres
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free online health and exercise sessions
- …and much more!
Derbyshire County Council are going through a period of positive development and transformation so it’s a great time to join and drive change. We currently have various other vacancies in our Countryside Service for more information on these vacancies and the wonderful work we do, simply visit Countryside service jobs - Derbyshire County Council
We are accepting CV’s for this position so it’s easier than ever to apply, but if you would rather submit a standard application form, details on how to do this are available here.
For an informal and confidential chat about the role please contact our Environment & Transport Director, Claire Brailsford – firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply online here
Closing Date: 30/01/2022 Location: Matlock/Hybrid