South West Water
Grounds Maintenance Operator
At South West Water we believe that the strongest businesses are built on solid, stable foundations - with a vision and a culture that gives them the freedom to change, improve and innovate.
We’re proud to be responsible for providing reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for the beautiful South West area.
And we have huge ambitions.
Not only are we committed to reaching net-zero by 2030, but we’ve also partnered with wildlife charities, National Parks and local partners to help ensure a better future for generations to come.
So, if you want to be part of a diverse team where opportunities flow and fresh ideas are welcomed, #JustAddWater.
Are you looking for a new and rewarding role where you can put your hands-on skills to good use and offers opportunities to develop?
Do you want to join a friendly team and travel around the beautiful locations of the South West?
About the role:
We currently have a fantastic opportunity available for a Grounds Maintenance Operator to join our team based in either Bideford, Redruth or Paignton. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis, and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £22,196 per annum + excellent benefits.
You will carry out a range of building and grounds maintenance activities at various sites across Drinking Water Services, under the guidance of the Minor Works Team leaders, and the DWS Central Support Manager. Support the optimisation of work schedules in liaison with the Central Support Administrator.
What you'll be doing:
The completion of reactive and planned grounds and general maintenance work across SWW assets including, but not limited to:
- Grass Cutting, Strimming, Tree Work (at ground level), Hedge Trimming, Weed Control
- Pathway repairs and maintenance – gravel, concrete, slabs, Step repairs and maintenance, Cover repairs and replacements, Installation of control measures, (H&S Short term, Capital Long Term – e.g. weed control mesh etc),
- Woodwork & door furniture repairs and maintenance, Roof gutter repairs and maintenance, Painting and decoration, Minor/ interim/temporary tank repairs and periodic cleaning of water treatment process tanks – e.g. clarifier cleaning
- Accurate and timely feedback of activities completed
- Adherence to schedules, business rules and procedures
- Liaison with the DWS Central Support Manager & Central Support Administrator to ensure that all work schedules are optimised
- Assist with dealing with customer queries when directly approached in a calm and friendly manner and pass information to management when appropriate
- Ensure all work is carried out with due consideration of health and safety and in accordance with Safe Systems of Work
- Ensure that all activities enhance the reputation and image of the company
- The ability to travel throughout the area
- Use of powered plant and equipment, hand tools and chemicals
What we are looking for:
- A good level of maths and IT
- A full UK Driving Licence to include classification B
- Previous experience of general building repairs & maintenance
- Experience of working in a team and an understanding of the importance of teamwork
- Previous experience of operating grounds maintenance machinery
- Previous experience of working in a delivery focused team
- A “can do” attitude with a desire to learn and understand the business and a flexible approach to support the business
- Knowledge of health & safety principles & working safely
- A flexible approach to working hours to meet work demands
- Ability to adhere to Risk Assessments and Safe Systems Of Work
What's in it for you:
At South West Water, we don’t all do the same job, but we each get out of bed in the morning knowing that every day is a chance to make incredible things happen, together. In return for our people’s hard work and commitment, we offer an excellent range of benefits:
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- Buy or sell annual leave to offer you extra flexibility
- Buy a bike and safety equipment tax-free, through our Cycle to Work scheme
- We offer free car parking at the majority of our sites
- Take up to 26 weeks’ additional maternity leave
- Share your parental leave and split your time off to care for your child how you choose
- Invest in Pennon Group plc through our employee share schemes
- We support our people by offering a free, confidential Employee Assistance Programme
- Look after your wellbeing with our Champion Health support platform
- Enjoy free eye tests and discounts on frames and lenses at Specsavers
- Enjoy access to thousands of deals and discounts on supermarkets, high street shops, online retailers, travel, eating out, cinemas, gyms and much more though Perkbox
- A range of group discounts: The Dell Advantage Programme, Virgin Media Affinity Scheme, Vodaphone Advantage and more
- A discretionary Bonus
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- And plenty more!
Closing Date: 19th February 2024
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Grounds Maintenance Operator - we look forward to receiving your application.
Please note that the successful candidate will be subject to a mandatory DBS check as part of the onboarding process.
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
- Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
- Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
- Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
- Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
Apply here: Grounds Maintenance Operator (1506) | South West Water Careers
Closing Date: 19/02/2024 Location: Bideford, Redruth or Paignton