Via East Midlands Ltd
Area Rights of Way Officer
Via East Midlands currently has fantastic opportunity to join our Environmental Management and Design Team as an Area Rights of Way Officer based at our Trent Bridge House office in West Bridgford, Nottingham. The role will assist in the management of the county's rights of way network, within the north east of the county to ensure that rights of way are open, safe and available by ensuring that Nottinghamshire County Council's statutory responsibilities are implemented on the ground, that landowners meet their legal responsibilities, that improvements to the network are made where possible, through positive interaction in the development planning process, and that future impacts are recognised.
Main responsibilities include:
- Investigate complaints and carry out site inspections
- Organise and manage work programmes in line with policies
- Respond to planning, highway and other consultations from county and district councils.
- Respond to enquiries from Councillors, parish and district councils, landowners, statutory undertakers, voluntary bodies and members of the public about rights of way matters.
- Work with parish councils and the farming community to undertake partnership working where appropriate.
- Assist in processing applications for public path orders
- Manage or assist with applications for Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO)
- Maintain accurate records, files and statistics using team IT applications (GIS & database).
- Ensure promotion and deliver of fair, sensitive and quality services to all existing and potential service users of the Rights of Way network.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A formal qualification to NVQ level 5 or degree level in a countryside related subject and/or a minimum of 12 months experience of a wide range of rights of way management and maintenance issues.
- Attendance at formal training course on rights of way and countryside related issues.
- Good working knowledge of current rights of way legislation.
- Good knowledge and understanding of land management practices
- Experience of working and negotiating with the farming community, landowners, pressure groups, parish and district councils and the general public.
- Experience of organising and supervising minor contracts in respect of rights of way maintenance.
- Full, valid UK driving licence.
- Ability to undertake regular site visits in a lone working situation which may involve difficult or uneven terrain.
- Ability to prioritise time and organise own workload.
- Ability to maintain computerised records and write clear and concise reports.
- Experience of enforcement action in relation to rights of way work.
- Ability to be confident in professional expertise, carry out intentions and does not shy away from difficult conversations
- Ability to take decisive action in the light of anticipated or actual problems to avoid or exploit a situation
- Ability to ensure that people carry out what is expected of them and manage the situation if not
- Ability to apply analytical thinking to understand complex situations, make decisions and solve problems.
To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 27th February 2020. If you would like more information about the role, please contact Jane Baines, Senior Rights of Way officer on 0115 9774802 or email@example.com