Outdoor Education Officer
The Harewood Estate spans some 4000 acres and lies nestled between Leeds and Harrogate, set in the sweeping Yorkshire landscape designed by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown 250 years ago. The Estate has a diverse range of business interests including commercial units, residential properties, holiday cottages, arable and livestock farming, forestry, renewable energy generation, food production and hospitality. We are constantly working to protect our past while staying relevant for the future.
The Estate is about to embark on a major 10-year landscape and heritage restoration and regeneration project (probably the biggest intervention since Brown’s time), which will restore damaged and degraded historic structures, ecosystems and natural processes, create new habitats, encourage greater biodiversity and enhance natural capital functions. These works will see the restoration of historic landscape features, planting of over 17,000 trees, creation of 70 hectares of wildflower meadow and 250 hectares of wood pasture parkland and new livestock facilities and grazing regimes.
The ambitious project has been made possible via funding from a Higher Tier Countryside Stewardship scheme and the Estate is now looking to fill a number of roles needed to deliver the first two years of work. We are looking for self-motivated, inspiring, skilled and dedicated people with a passion for the environment, conservation and the outdoors, who want to play a part in initiatives that find solutions to the climate and biodiversity crises that result in improved landscapes for future generations.
- Responsible for developing and delivering on-site education and environmental action programmes, with topics including regenerative farming, nature restoration and other such environmental outcomes.
- Inspire, empower and create opportunities for people of all ages to connect with nature and the outdoors around the Estate.
- Lead on the development of the Estate’s outdoor education offering in collaboration with other Harewood businesses as appropriate
- Organise and deliver inspiring and informative educational visits linked to countryside stewardship
- Seek new opportunities for educational visits and engage with local schools and other groups to promote our educational offering
- Oversee, maintain, develop and promote the forest school area
- Identify marketing opportunities including website and social media postings, keeping our web and social media presence fresh and interesting
- Liaise with local Universities and Colleges regarding opportunities for Apprenticeships and work placements
- Assist with other areas of the forestry and farming departments as required
Skills and Experience Required
- Experience in a similar role of organising, developing and delivering outdoor education type activities such as bushcraft or forest schools for members of the public, particularly young people
- Strong environmental knowledge demonstrated through education and/or relevant work experience
- Forest Schools level 2 and 3 and/or NOCN Level 3 Certificate in Forest School Programme Leadership is desirable but not essential
- Good communication skills with the ability to inspire, motivate and relate to your audience, adapting your communication style to different environments and audiences
- Confident in talking about the countryside, environment and sustainability issues with a range of audiences
- Strong attention to detail in order to deliver a first rate educational experience
- Experience of adhering to safeguarding, health and safety and risk assessment requirements.
- Experiences at networking with educational stakeholders and business contacts
- Self-motivated and able to manage your own time to deadlines
- Experience of managing apprentices or work placements is desirable but not essential
- Experience with websites and social media portals is desirable but not essential
- Full, clean driving licence, preferable with experience of driving smaller farm vehicles eg quad bikes
What We Offer
- Competitive salary of £23,000 - £28,000 depending on experience
- 23 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Discounts and benefits with selected Harewood businesses and retail
- The opportunity to develop within the role via formal training and on the job learning
- There will be some weekend working so we have a TOIL system in operation or there is the opportunity for overtime where agreed in advance
- The role is offered on a 2-year fixed term contract with the possibility of extension depending on opportunities and funding at the end of this time
- This role could be offered as part time if required by the candidate
To apply please send a cover letter along with your CV to email@example.com by 7th December. Interviews will take place in December with a view to commencing the role in early 2023.
Closing Date: 07/12/2022 Location: Harewood, Leeds