Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust
Trainee Assistant Reserves Officer (Solent)
Contract Type: 6 months Fixed Term Contract, 35 hours per week Monday - Friday
Salary: £9.50 per hour
The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust is a grassroots movement working for nature’s recovery and to bring people closer to nature.
‘Our vision for a wilder future is beautiful and vital!’
We want great places to live that are good for people and good for wildlife.
Our future has to be wilder!
We are seeking a Trainee Assistant Reserves Officer (Solent) to join our cause.
The trainee will primarily assist in the delivery of reserves management on the Trust’s Estate, in the Solent area. Duties will encompass all aspects of reserves management, which will include assisting officers with habitat restoration works, estate maintenance and survey work
This Fixed Term role involves:
- Undertake practical habitat and estate work to assist the Reserve Officer – Solent in delivering the Trust’s annual reserves work programme across Solent Sites.
- Assist in livestock management including handling/movements and welfare checks.
- Maintain tools, tool store and ensure work shop is in a safe and tidy condition
Volunteer Supervision and Training
- Assist in leading of volunteer teams.
- Assist with training of volunteers within the team.
- In conjunction with the Reserve Officer, recruit volunteers for wardening, livestock lookering and practical work parties.
Access and Interpretation
- Undertake to raise awareness of the Trust and conservation by assisting with guided walks and talks and attending Trust events.
- Engage members of the public using sites to promote the importance of habitats and species, their need for management, responsible use and how to behave around livestock.
- Carry out site/task risk assessments, complete tool maintenance records.
- Conduct biological survey and monitoring with volunteers.
- Conduct all reserve estate work to agreed quality standards.
- Contributing to a successful Trust
- Participate fully in team, department and staff meetings, maintain excellent communication with other staff across the Trust and embody a positive culture of sharing and learning.
- Contribute to the success of the Trusts ‘Wilder’ 10 year strategy.
- Promote the Trust wherever possible, in particular recruiting new members and acting as an ambassador for our vision, values and aims.
- Abide by Trust procedures and policies, in particular Health & Safety and Equal Opportunities, Safeguarding & Child Protection and GDPR.
- Follow finance policies, processes and procedures.
Closing date: 11/08/2021
For more information and to apply please visit our website
Closing Date: 11/08/2021 Location: Solent