Capercaillie Advisory Officer
Location: RSPB Scotland - Inverness
Salary: £27,574.00 - £30,590.00 Pro Rata
Benefits: Pension, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata), Life Assurance
Duration: 20 months
What's the role about?
This part-time role will lead on capercaillie work outside the Cairngorms whilst working with the current Cairngorms Capercaillie advisory officer. The role will provide expert knowledge of capercaillie ecology, population, distribution and monitoring methods as well as a thorough understanding of habitat management to land managers, external partners and RSPB staff.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Provide advice/support to land managers to encourage uptake of Forest Grant schemes for habitat creation and improvement.
- Provide advice to RSPB and statutory staff to inform planning application/forestry scheme responses
- Provide advice on recreational events and estate activities to reduce disturbance
- Carry out and coordinate annual population monitoring
- Maintain the capercaillie database and manage data requests
- Promote capercaillie conservation to practitioners, the public and donors
- Organise meetings of capercaillie interest groups
What we need from you
- A degree in ecology or conservation and/or relevant practical experience
- Knowledge of forest management techniques and grant schemes
- Bird survey experience
- Proven IT skills including MS Office software especially Excel, Outlook and Teams
- Knowledge of capercaillie ecology and habitat requirements
- Proven ability to influence others and negotiate desired outcomes
- Excellent communication skills
- Confident advocating a position to landowners and managers who have different views.
- Ability to form effective teams (internal and partnership) and work effectively as a team player
- Competency in use of GIS
This is a 15 hours per week post, there is flexibility around the working pattern but some overlap will be required with the Cairngorms Capercaillie Advisory Officer working Monday-Wednesday.
Closing date: 23:59, 22 August 2021
Please note that you will be required to upload a CV and complete a short application form.
Please click HERE to be taken to our website where you can complete your application.
Closing Date: 22/08/2021 Location: RSPB Scotland - Inverness