Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
Primary Sector – Ecology
Postcode: B4 6AT
Region: West Midlands
Position type: Permanent
Level: Senior Level
Are you passionate about protecting and safeguarding the environment and the wildlife within it?
As a Principal Ecologist you will be responsible for building, mentoring and leading a team throughout the project lifecycle on large million-pound high profile infrastructure schemes. You will be responsible for making decisions that will directly impact the projects to ensure we protect the wildlife and build an environment and allow it to thrive alongside our developments for many years to come.
Your Ecology team will work alongside our award-winning design, maintenance and construction teams who transform our roads, railways and public buildings and deliver the critical support services the country relies on every day. You will do this by leading and guiding the team with strategic planning, surveying, and forecasting strategies, to ensure the best outcome for the wildlife and biodiversity. Leading the team to make sure the work completed is aligned to the current environmental laws and striving to raise the standards of our technical reporting and project delivery efficiency.
Amey will give you a career in an environment that is challenging, supportive and with a benefits structure to reward you on your journey. As a principal you will also be responsible for the development of your teams core skills and their career pathway, making sure they too feel rewarded and valued. The biggest reward of all is being able to protect animals from harm and allowing them to evolve for years to come. You can start to make a difference to the environment today by joining our team, so don’t hesitate and apply now.
The salary is £ - Depending on experience
The standard hours of work are 40.0 hours
Work-life balance and flexibility are key for our success. We empower our people to make choices that are right for them, with hybrid, part-time and flexible work patterns. And with a network of offices across the UK, we’re open to discussing working options that suit you.
You will be responsible for:
- Mentoring the ecology team members ensuring their professional development needs are identified and delivered.
- Supporting the management of the ecology team resourcing, including hosting resourcing calls and ensuring workload trackers are used effectively as well as inputting into future recruitment needs
- Sharing industry updates, and changes to ecology guidance and legislation with the wider ecology team; driving continued professional development
- Implementing innovation; by working with innovation teams in Amey to introduce new products and practices which enhance efficiency
- Support in maintaining and updating technical ecology report templates and guidance to ensure excellence and consistency in team delivery
- Providing technical review and comment on ecology reports and deliverables
- Identifying, forecasting and resourcing ecological survey requirements in relation to both design and construction programmes.
- Coordinating and planning the delivery of all ecological surveys and technical reporting required as part of planning and licence applications; utilising and managing both the in-house ecology team and external ecological sub-contractors.
- Undertaking the role of Ecological Lead for projects providing advice and direction to the ecology and environmental teams as well as the design teams and Principal Contractors to ensure compliance with legislation, licencing and planning commitments.
- Organising and co-ordinating meetings with Local Authority ecologists and other stakeholders as required.
- Attending engineering integration meetings and be able to authoritatively communicate key ecological requirements to ensure they are captured within preliminary and detailed design.
What makes this role unique?
What makes this role unique is the fantastic team and the help and support that you will receive in developing as an engineer. Working on high profile UK based projects your contribution will ensure the wildlife is not only protected but will flourish and evolve for many years to come.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- A strong undergraduate degree in Ecology, Zoology, Botany, Biology, Environmental Science (with a strong ecology focus) or similar/equivalent.
- A minimum of 10 years demonstrable post-graduate experience preferably in a professional ecological consultancy role encompassing large rail/infrastructure projects.
- Full Membership of CIEEM or equivalent with expertise in protected species surveys.
- EPS Mitigation licence application experience and Protected species licence holder or working towards same (notable species: bats & dormice).
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant wildlife legislation and ecological survey methodologies.
- Experience in Invasive species survey and management.
- Excellent reporting writing skills with experience in drafting & critically reviewing ecological reports; including Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Ecological Impact Assessments and Method Statements.
- Experience of working closely with regulatory authorities and various stakeholders.
- Experience of managing a team of ecological consultants and/or third-party contractors.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan and deliver works in line with budgets and programme deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss ecological issues and capture feedback.
- Health and Safety awareness, especially safe working practices and risk assessment related to ecology fieldwork.
- Valid driving licence.
What we offer you
When you join us, we can offer flexibility, career development, a choice of benefits and support that help you through all life’s ups and downs. It’s the reason why Investors in People put us among the top 1% of employers and we have a competitive reward and benefits program
- Career Development - Exceptional development and progression plan
- Pension – Generous Pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Holidays - Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Choices - Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey - Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers
- Social Value - You’ll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives
We embrace difference and support individuals to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed to working sustainably and by working in partnership with the communities we serve, so people and the planet are protected.
At Amey, you have freedom to perform because we know if nothing holds you back, together, we can be extraordinary.
Who is Amey?
- We are at the heart of modern Britain, helping the economy to grow by designing, maintaining and transforming the nation’s strategic assets.
- Our 11,000 people are behind the critical services the country relies on every day.
- Our unique engineering and operations experience, together with data driven insight from our consulting business, delivers better results for our clients.
- We are trusted partners of Government – both national and local – managing assets and complex projects that are vital to the sustainable growth of the country.
To find out more take a look at our website www.amey.co.uk
Amey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any access needs and reasonable adjustments that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.
Apply today – We are excited to hear from you!
Website: Amey Consulting
Application link: Job Search (amey.co.uk)
Delete Date: 13/04/2023 Location: Birmingham