Principal Consultant/Associate Director Level Ecologist
Glasgow or Edinburgh
REF: EC04 - 0121
EnviroCentre Limited has an exciting opportunity for a Principal, or indeed Associate Director level, ecologist to be based in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
We are ideally looking for an individual with at least 8 years (10 years for Associate Director level) of demonstrable experience within an ecological consultancy, with a proven track record of technical delivery, mentoring and team leadership, and business development.
Our work is varied and widespread, supporting our Clients on projects both locally and throughout the UK as required. The role will provide an opportunity for an individual to demonstrate a broad range of skills by undertaking specialist work such as HRA and EcIA technical review, whilst working as part of a passionate, integrated, dynamic environmental team that spans our 4 offices. The role will demand a high level of technical ability in project design and delivery. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of technical and team leadership.
This post represents an opportunity to work with EnviroCentre’s wider team to deliver growth opportunities, build Client relationships and take an active role in the delivering the business plan objectives of development and expansion.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:-
- Manage projects (particularly project budgets and cashflow), attend meetings, provide advice to clients and manage bid production;
- Be able to lead, motivate and manage a team;
- Have responsibility for technical quality / approval of project deliverables;
- Undertake ecological surveys, oversee/undertake the analysis of results of field surveys;
- Manage and/or produce EcIA, HRA, Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEAs), biodiversity strategies and other documents;
- Provide advice on ecological issues, both at an in-depth level within own area of expertise but also on a broad range of issues;
- Conduct licensable work in relation to protected species (i.e GCN, Bats) and mentor staff towards their own professional, licensable standards;
- Liaise with statutory authorities relating to our projects as required;
- Undertake performance management of assigned team members and provide training and mentoring to staff;
- Actively deliver business development strategies in relation to environmental consultancy;
- Design research projects and contribute to the development of best practice with respect to training and survey standards, as appropriate;
- Represent, lead and develop the existing ecology team.
- A relevant degree, ideally with a further education qualification such as an MSc in a relevant environmental discipline;
- Full member of CIEEM (Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management);
- Chartered Environmentalist/Ecologist (or demonstrably approaching Chartered Ecologist);
- An inclusive leader who works effectively as part of a diverse team;
- Species licences, ideally for GCN and Bats;
- Excellent commercial and project management skills for a range of project sizes;
- Detailed knowledge of ecological principles, biodiversity metrics, and relevant legislation, policy and guidance;
- In-depth knowledge of particular plant or animal groups and appropriate field survey skills;
- Proven track record in writing and delivering EcIA, HRA, Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEAs), writing and/or delivering BREEAM/ Biodiversity Net Gain assessments, and Ecology Chapters for Environmental Statements;
- Proven experience of bid production for a range of projects and client interaction;
- Leads in the design and compliance of biosecurity and health and safety protocols;
- Highly experienced in writing and reviewing technical reports;
- Highly effective mentoring and training skills to develop and support junior staff;
- Proven track record in team management;
- Excellent presentation skills with experience of presenting to existing and potential clients;
- Experience in Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW) or GIS is advantageous but not essential;
- Interest in the sustainability agenda and environmental developments in the industry;
- The flexibility to work unsociable hours, or away from home as required;
- A full UK driving licence.
What EnviroCentre can offer you:-
We invest in you and your success. We support our people to innovate, collaborate and achieve their next career steps.
Become part of our highly respected team and you’ll be working alongside technical experts in a range of environmental disciplines who take pride in the quality of service that we offer at every stage of the project lifecycle.
In return, we offer a competitive salary, and all the benefits of working for a dynamic and growing organisation including generous holidays, a training allowance, company pension contributions and more.
As part of our commitment to flexibility in the workplace we welcome applicants seeking part time employment with a minimum contract of three days a week.
To apply, please complete the Job Application Form, which can be downloaded from the careers section of our website, and return this along with your CV to Gema Martinez Lara at Recruitment@envirocentre.co.uk
You can learn much more about EnviroCentre at www.envirocentre.co.uk