Landmarc Support Services
Maintenance Manager – Forestry and Harvesting
Landmarc, a world leading provider of integrated support services to the military, offers exciting opportunities for talented people to join our team in the North Region.
As the Maintenance Manager you are responsible to supervise and assist the delivery of the regional Forestry Harvesting process in accordance with the contract requirements, within regional budget, to industry best practice, health and safety and in a sustainable manner.
You will oversee and deliver the regional Forestry Harvesting Income and expenditure utilizing the national forestry reinvestment process.
This is a part time role working 20 hours per week on average, hours of work may differ during busier and quieter periods.
- Assist region in developing, implementing and supervising forest harvesting and marketing contracts.
- Liaise with DIO Forester(s) to assist management of the training areas forestry and harvesting to implement any requirements and form a good working collaboration.
- Manage all aspects of forest harvesting and marketing, including legal requirements, health and safety aspects in line with FISA u201cGuidance on Managing Health and Safety in Forestryu201d and following industry best practice.
- Prepare and process timber tender documents in conjunction with the regional commercial manager, this includes preparatory work such as forest mensuration and felling licence applications. Harvesting specifications. Health and safety requirements (RAMS). Carry out timber valuations.
- Supervising of forest harvesting contractors and sub-contractors, including haulage companies, conduct safety inspections.
- Assist region on aspects of forest and woodland management including but not limited to: ground preparation and restocking, species choice and plant procurement. Prepare costing's for this work.
- Oversee the Regional elements of the Forestry Income Reinvestment process.
- Assist the management, planning and preparation of region harvesting plans, Long Term Forest Management Plans and production forecasts.
- Promote good environmental practice over the rural estate.
- Support the internal audit programme and all necessary systems, policies and procedures and provide feedback on the effectiveness of business processes and recommend improvements.
- Liaise and build strong working relationships with our Client(s), Defence Estates Foresters and Land Agents and other stakeholders to provide sustainable management of Client woodlands. To include, where appropriate, liaising with statutory bodies for example: the Forestry Commission, Natural England, Natural Resources Wales, Environment Agency, HSE etc. to obtain consent for forestry works and assents for potentially damaging operations on SSSI's etc.
What you know
- HNC/HND/NVQ or equivalent relevant qualification/experience
- Knowledge of Health & Safety and safe working practices
- Knowledge of woodland harvesting, site supervision, restocking operations and timber valuations
- Knowledge of environmental best practice
- Experience in site assessment and mensuration to provide the information to develop harvesting contracts and tenders.
- Membership of relevant professional institutes including ICF
- Experience of EPS legislation and good practice
- Knowledge of using Geographical Information Systems relating to asset management
- Experience of auditing and auditing systems
What you can do
- Effective oral and written communication skills including: providing briefings to senior management
- Ability to understand customer requirements and propose realistic solutions
- Ability to operate with commercial awareness both at strategic and advisory levels
- Good people skills
- Comfortable with the Office computer suite
- Good negotiating and customer care skills/collaborative worker
- Able to interact at all levels
How to apply: Candidates will submit a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the Job Title VR 1056 Maintenance Manager - Forestry and Harvesting.
Closing Date: 23/05/2021 Location: Richmond DL11 6AH