Elton Ecology Ltd
Bat Licenced Consultant Ecologist
Role: Bat Licenced Consultant Ecologist
Location: East and West Midlands
Hours: Full-time or Part-Time /Flexible hours per week
Salary: up to £32,000 per annum pro rata, please include your current salary details
Established in 2018, Elton Ecology Ltd is a rapidly expanding independent ecology consultancy providing services across a range of sectors including major infrastructure, utilities, commercial and residential development schemes. We are a small and friendly team working across the East and West Midlands, and occasionally further afield.
At Elton Ecology we are all about ecological excellence, we are experts in all things wildlife, and passionate about our work. We work closely with our clients to get the best solutions for their project and the environment. Naturally, you will be an enthusiastic ecologist, with a keen eye for detail and a strong relationship builder.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the ecology sector. We are seeking someone who can apply scientific rigour and present results in a clear 'non-jargon' manner, with meticulous attention to detail.
You will think with both your heart and your head, a commercial mind is important too.
This is a hands-on role, with the benefit of a high degree of autonomy working alongside a team of experienced and friendly ecologists.
The role requires someone who is happy to 'roll up their sleeves,' and can quickly build rapport and relationships with our clients, stakeholders and colleagues.
The role is based in Derbyshire, and requires travel across the East and West Midlands.
Responsibilities for this hands-on role include:
- Planning and undertaking protected species surveys.
- Drafting high quality technical reports and other ecology deliverables including Preliminary Bat Roost Assessments, Protected Species Reports and Method Statements.
- Leading a range of surveys as part of a survey team.
- Managing and training assistant level members of the team.
- Manage the training budgets and monitor and evaluate training effectiveness
- Bat licence (Level 2 preferred).
- A degree in ecology or related field.
- Eligibility for CIEEM membership.
- Experience in the ecology sector within professional consultancy.
- Project management experience of small/medium sized projects.
- Understanding of relevant UK legislation, planning policy and the planning application process.
- Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice.
- Experienced in conducting Preliminary Bat Roost Assessment surveys.
- Proven track record of drafting clear and concise technical reports including Preliminary Bat Roost Assessments, Protected Species Reports, and mitigation design.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, stakeholders and colleagues.
- Experience in planning and resourcing ecological surveys.
- A Full UK Driving license.
Nice to have
- Additional protected species licences (i.e., great crested newt).
- Proficient in GIS software packages (preferably QGIS).
- NPTC Tree Climbing qualified, or desire to become so.
- ECoW experience, including delivering contractor toolbox talks.
- Experience in conducting Phase 1/ UK Hab surveys and drafting Preliminary Ecological Appraisals.
- Associate or Full member of CIEEM.
- Postgraduate degree.
- EPS Mitigation licence application/ named ecologist experience.
- First Aid at Work Training.
- CSCS card holder.
- Knowledge of Biodiversity Net Gain/ Habitat Metrics/ UK Hab.
- Knowledge of basic Health and Safety compliance and an ability to undertake basic risk assessments.
- Payment of your professional CIEEM membership fees
- Company laptop & mobile phone
- Access to training, mentoring and development opportunities
- Key role within a fast-growing small business
- Interesting and varied work
- Working hours flexibility
- Home working opportunity
- Control of your own workload
- Autonomy to manage your own portfolio of work and clients
- Professional yet non-corporate office culture
- Extremely flat management hierarchy
- Friendly colleagues with a diverse mix of skills and ecology experience
- Input into business decision making
- Freedom to implement your ideas
- Opportunity to get involved with local social responsibility projects
- Professional IT systems, and equipment.
Get in touch!
CV & covering letter: support@Loatesrecruitment.net
Closing Date: Monday 19th April 2021
Elton Ecology have engaged Loates HR Recruitment as our recruiting partner for this role. There will be an initial interview with Loates HR Recruitment conducted virtually.
Successful shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Tim Elton at conducted virtually during w/c 19th April 2021.
No agencies please.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.
Closing Date: 19/04/2021 Location: Derbyshire