Study finds co-formulants used in commercial fungicide affects the health of bumblebees - Royal Holloway, University of London

Bumblebee (József Szabó / Pixabay)
József Szabó / Pixabay

Researchers from Royal Holloway, University of London have found for the first time that a co-formulant found in commercial agricultural pesticides used across the UK significantly affects the health of bumblebees.

The new study shows that exposure to alcohol ethoxylates – a type of co-formulant used in fungicides – can cause severe gut damage, leading to a lack of appetite, weight loss and mortality in bumblebees.

Bumblebees are regularly exposed to fungicides and pesticides, and these agricultural chemicals are thought to be a driver of the decline in bees across the globe. Regulation of pesticides has always focussed on the main ingredients in the pesticide product and their impact on bee health, with co-formulants - such as alcohol ethoxylates – being overlooked as a potential threat. This represents a large gap in pesticide regulation, as this study demonstrates co-formulants can drive the entire toxicity of a product.

Ed Straw, PhD researcher in the Department of Biological Sciences at Royal Holloway, and lead author on the paper, said: “The results of our research demonstrates gaps in the pesticide regulatory systems in the UK and EU that are putting vital bee populations at risk. Whilst 30% of bees exposed to the fungicide product died, the other 70% were far from healthy; they had damaged guts, were eating about half as much food and were losing weight. Pesticide regulation typically only looks at whether or not a bee dies, but we found that even bees who survive can be under severe stress.”

More on:

Posted On: 09/11/2021

Built by Jack Barber in Whitby, North Yorkshire. Visit Herbal Apothecary for herbal practitioner supplies, Sweet Cecily's for natural skincare, BeeVital for propolis health supplements and Future Health Store for whole foods, health supplements, natural & ethical gifts.