- TUC analysis shows the UK government’s green jobs and recovery plans lag far behind most G7 countries
- UK ranks sixth for investment in net zero climate infrastructure – with only Japan scoring worse
- UK Treasury plans for £180 investment per person on green recovery and jobs “a drop in the ocean” compared with USA (£2,960pp), Italy (£1,390pp), Canada (£870pp), France (£710pp) and Germany (£600pp)
- This means the UK will create far fewer green jobs than its G7 peers
- Government must seize G7 spotlight to allocate more investment, says union body
The UK government’s green jobs and investment plans lag far behind most G7 countries, according to a report by the TUC.
The analysis shows the government’s Ten Point Plan for a green industrial revolution is just a fraction of the investment pledged by France, Canada, Italy, Germany and USA – with only Japan scoring worse.
The union body says the report reveals the potential to do much more to expand green jobs and meet vital climate commitments.
The TUC is calling on government to seize the G7 opportunity by allocating £85 billion for emergency green infrastructure.
The commitment would move the UK up into third position in the G7 league table, creating a million quality green jobs and demonstrating real climate leadership, says the union body.
The report supports previous research showing that with extra recovery investment the government could create 1.24 million green jobs in the immediate term, while retooling and decarbonising workplaces to defend existing jobs.
UK lagging far behind G7 peers in climate action and green job creation
The TUC report shows:
- While the UK Treasury is barely investing £180 per person on green recovery and jobs, the USA is planning to allocate over £2,960 per person on green recovery, jobs and programmes like public transport, electric vehicles and energy efficiency retrofits. Green recovery investment per person is £1,390 in Italy, £600 in Germany and £870 in Canada.
- Scaled by population, the UK green investment plans are just 26% of France, 21% of Canada, 13% of Italy and 6% of the USA.
- To match the level of USA green recovery plans, the UK would need the equivalent of sixteen Ten Point Plans. Eight Ten Point Plans would be needed to match Italy's green recovery plans, and five to match Canada’s.
- The UK could scale up quality green job creation ten-fold – if it chooses to match the climate investment of its G7 peers.
Posted on: 01 June 2021